So HDTP in a magazine again (with a few others - TNM)

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: So HDTP in a magazine again (with a few others - TNM)

Post by Jonas »

Ah. Well, fuck it. Somebody else will do that some time :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

I'm fine with the game being released unfinished. Youve done mostly everythig , and the weapons you have worked on look awesome. As long as it's tested for glitches, I'm ready for it.
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

I say release it as a public beta. Then release the final product after you are finished with everything. Maybe with a public release more people will join the mod and help finish the last few things that need doing.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Besides, you also have the massive plus of having people off of your badk if you release a beta. (You may get another year of nag free work time before people start demanding more again)

Only problem I would see is getting complaints from people too clueless to realize that it is a beta and that as such it is not complete. (Might want to have a good list of what has not been modeled if you do a release)
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

British games journalism is consistently good and frequently brilliant.
I have much respect for British magazines seeing as though I'm related to a game journo apparently (bastard beat me into the industry by 1 year :P)

Anywho good to hear things are going ahead, the reason I said that comment about you jonas is only based on how secret TNM has been for the past.. er how many years has it been now. Well anyway I respect how you develop your games that's only why I said it. TNM could have a massive impact as a result of being such a closed project seeing as that's basically how the entire industry does it.

of course.. I'm not a huge fan of it.. not when you get things like Spore that take 8 years and the result is a pile of shit that should have only taken 2 years. (it was mostly cause Will Wright kept undoing what they had already done in the pursuit of perfection.. which wasn't the case at all.. hence why its better to just put it out there and hope it all works out.) Just preference I guess, but Metche and the team has done well with what we all had to work with so it'll be rewarding just to see it on show finally after so long.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Then on the other hand there's Valve. Half-Life 2? 6 years. Team Fortress 2? Nine years.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Duke Nukem Forever ...
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Was noteably not made by Valve.

We're more like Valve, less like 3D Realms.

(And definitely not like Blizzard: "After 8 years of development, the project still fails to meet our expectations. CANCELLED.")
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

But valve don't understand how the episodic model works lol. When each Episode of Halflife can take anywhere between 2-8 years to make well.. yeah sorta not how I'd do it.

I'm pretty much the sorta guy that's just "hey fuck it.. lets just release it now.. not like anyone is gonna give a shit right?!" I think you'll find gamers don't care if the game comes out half complete if its released very quickly and cost them very little.. that said you can kinda cheat by releasing it, not making a huge deal about it in its present state.. then developing the game further and THEN hype the shit out of it to make a killing.. that way people have to option to buy it early on-- at least then they know what they're getting. The only bad thing is that you'll get bad PR because some idiots don't know what a Beta Release is.

Of course you can always pull a 3D Realms or Maxis where you spend so fucking long just to produce shit. (Suspect that DNF will suck balls- it looks like a generic Half Life2/Doom3 ripoff at the moment.)
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:(Suspect that DNF will suck balls- it looks like a generic Half Life2/Doom3 ripoff at the moment.)
perhaps both doom3 and hl2 borrowed from dn3d?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

pretty obvious they did.. but seriously this game needed to happen 10 years ago.. not now.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

At least 3D realms had prey which seems like it is a pretty awesome game. (took a hell of a long time to develop also)
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Prey looked very pretty, and had a reasonably interesting story (potentially), but was in fact utter shit to play: they had a clever resurrection mechanic whereby you never actually died so much as 'went to the spirit world for 2 mins before returning'. As a consequence they made no effort whatsoever to make the game actually present any sort of reasonable challenge, it was basically easy easy easy NOW YOU DIE EVERY 5 MINS UNTIL THE GAME IS COMPLETE, BUT THAT'S OK WE ASSUME, COZ YOU DON'T ACTUALLY DIE PER SE, SO IT'S NOT IN ANY WAY FRUSTRATING AT ALL, RIGHT?

Which as it turns out, is actually incredibly frustrating.

Some of the physics stuff was fun, though. When you weren't being fucking shot at. Which was never.
Shodan
Thug

Post by Shodan »

You have to consider:

Does it look like shit, or will it look good with a few things missing?

Is this actually going anywhere with regards to production?

If you don't release it now, will it get forgotten about and never released?

I agree with Mr.cp here, bollocks to it, release it, if people need the missing bits that badly they'll (irritatingly) make them later and release them.

Many thanks for creating this mod, I love DX and this is exactly what it needs, along with Dave's New Vision mod, it gives it a new breath of life and as the saying goes, someone, somewhere will reinstall it. Or in this case, everyone.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I bought a copy of this magazine yesterday, yeah they didn't do a lot of justice for the DX community, TNM isn't even mentioned at all, its mostly about Burden. HDTP gets a mention but the negative is that they want it released NOW lol but they acknowledge that its an improvement as the positive which is good of them and reflects very well on us.

Sadly their DX3 preview (which was the motive for them putting these mods in.. its sorta like they're trying to hype up DX3 by using our mods to do it.. but honestly given that preview we're showing Eidos Montreal up.. To give you the gist of the preview: DEUS EX 3 == FALLOUT 3, Has Karma System, Has 3 dialogue options (possibly Good, Neutral and Evil :P), Has Random Encounters (like Fallout :P), IS IMMERSIVE (Wtf? since when was Deus Ex about Immersion? and for that matter why use the original Unreal Engine with its hell Immersive 256x256 texture limit :P BLurry FAIL! they don't understand what Deus Ex 1 was about... OH! and Deus Ex 3 is NOT Blade Runner, Its Johnny Mnemonic (ie. The Gibson Film that FAILED MISERABLY! and only has 1 good scene!(the matrix bit)) if they had said Neuromancer I would have given them a bit more credit.. but even Gibson was ashamed of that Film :D (as the REAL uncut version was better and never shown publicly))

The screenshots in the article are the same old GITS crap we've seen before with LAME LAME comments like "too good for Grey Death" and "OWCH THE INNOVATION BURNS!.. NO WAIT THAT'S JUST CHLORINE".

However PCPP did one good thing, They attacked Eidos Montreal for using the new Tomb Raider Engine saying it was a huge mistake to use it again, EM replied "we're going to mod the fuck out of it"... I call bullshit :D

It keeps going on and on about Morality.. while yeah it was a big part of Deus Ex.. the problem with it is they've dumbed it down to Good or Bad much like Fable 2 and Fallout 3 going by what the guy was saying, that you can play a Villain or A Hero... Not sure about you guys but Deus Ex 1 was NEVER about Good or Bad.. it was EVERYONE WAS BAD you were just a lesser evil that had all the power to decide who won the battle, it was your opinion which one would be more responsible. Further more Deus Ex NEVER punishes you for blasting a Druggie.. but it sounds like this game will. ("Kill me" says druggy.. +10 Bad Karma... "WTF?! I WAS DOING HIM A FAVOR! HE FUCKING TOLD ME TO DO IT! WTF IS WITH THIS SHIT!" "hey bro, want some Zyme.. I got 5 kids to feed*kills drug dealer*" +10 Good Karma.. "WTF?! I JUST MADE ORPHANS OUT OF HIS KIDS!! WTF?!"- See Fallout 3 as to why this sucks balls.)

I'm honestly hoping that the preview is dreadfully wrong and that the game isn't so damn Black and White. If it is then its not fucking Deus EX!

The preview felt identical to the ones they did for both Oblivion and Fallout 3, but also the Bioshock one as well since that too was all "omfg IMMERSHUN!".. fucking retards.