Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Ajare
MJ12

Well, that's it, then

Post by Ajare »

My laptop has just died. Permanently. I will be out of action until I get a new one, and find 3ds-Max again. This means that the models that I've done but not uploaded (check the manager) are lost for good.

On the plus side, I might actually be able to buy a machine with a pixel shader at last. Oh well, gotta be philosophical. :?
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Was it the harddrive that took a dive? Because if its a soft crash, the data on the drive can be recovered. :)

If, though, the drive heads physically came into contact with the plates (you can hear a really nasty scratching sound coming from your hard drive), then your up that one smelly creek without a paddle. :shock:

Get a good replacement laptop

The LAN Leader looks pretty cool :lol:
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

No, it's not coming back. I recognise the sound it's making, and yes, it's the mother of all drive-head crashes.

$3300? Oh, if I could afford that, I'd buy everyone one.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Oh man that sux! :s You have my condolancies - I hope the computer sees a good burial :s

Take care man and I hope to see you back in action in the near future! Thanks for all your help! Your work will be GREATLY missed :(

Metche.

p.s. maybe we could organise a collection fund for a new comp lol :s
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

Well, I won't be out for too long, I'd be very surprised if it's more than a month. I'll be here to lend moral support in the meantime, though. Also, I do actually have a copy of PhotoShop on this machine, so if there are any simple texturing jobs, I could give them a go.

Feel free to redo AIPrototype, AlarmLight, Fan2, Valve & MiniSub, though I'd like to keep hold of Maggie. Also, my pot2 surprise got lost :cry: I had written an entire program to algorithmically generate the pot, with variable resolution for the pot, branches, leaves, auto-uv mapping, 3ds export, branch NURBS control, realtime preview etc. It was such an over-the-top waste of time that I think I deserved what I got.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

That should teach you to post whatever you've done in the texture/model database :lol:

I am sorry, though, that you lost your laptop. Reconfiguring a new computer is really difficult, especially if you don't have a template for what you like.

Takes too much time that could be better spent doing other things, like modelling! :lol:
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

Well, what'd you know. I have 3DS-Max up on this computer. My new computer should be coming in a week or so. In the mean-time, I'll get onto redoing the deco models I lost. Wow, that was all a big storm in a teacup. :D
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Lol well cool. :D I'm glad you've got it all setup again. It's a shame you had to go to the expense of a new computer but cool all the same. Now get those models done! :P
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
JC
NSF

Post by JC »

Go HDTP. I'm still supporting you, even if I have done nothing and promised to help in the summer. Crap. Sorry. Woo!