OpenGL Renderer

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Criftus
Mole Person

Post by Criftus »

justanotherfan wrote:I think that site also offers an updated DirectX renderer, since you've isolated the problem to the OpenGL one.
*nods* It does indeed, but my performance is strangely reduced (ie quite a bit of mouse lag) when using the same settings that I do with OpenGL in the Direct3D renderer. *sigh*

Ah well. This game is still awesome without the AA and AF ... =p
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Ah well. This game is still awesome without the AA and AF ... =p
You wouldn't be saying that if you had SLI. I can run oblivion on 8xSLI AA with everything on full and still hit 40FPS. Trust me, AA makes a huge difference to the quality of gaming and it pisses me off when I see a system with at least a GF 7xxx. The bloody card was designed to handle AA without lagging.

The new render will be awesome with HDTP though. (anything that improves that terrible Engine is awesome)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Criftus wrote:This game is still awesome without the AA and AF ... =p
Force it from your tray tools. Trust me.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Absolutely force it.

Running Deus Ex with 8xS FSAA, 16x Ansiotropic, gamma-correct antialiasing, and supersampling transparency antialiasing, maximum quality OpenGL at 1920x1200. Lipstick on a pig.

I'm hitting all the usual bugs with this latest installation. Cool 'n Quiet (its like SpeedStep for >Athlon64) for walking speed boosts and messages ending too soon, the usual resolution problems (giant HUD), the wrong install path....but I did put my AV-710 to "Standard Acceleration" in dxdiag so I'm not getting audio static. I'll reinstall later. DeusEx.exe is crap.

Edit: lol, getting 30fps with that setup. I thought I had a framelimiter on. I've only underclocked slightly, but after playing Deus Ex, the videocard temperature hasn't budged. I suppose DX is mainly CPU limited then?

Had to go back to my post in this thread from 2005 to get the Precache setting (its DoPrecache, not Useprecache). I knew I had mentioned the CPU Frequency Scaling bug on these boards a long time ago. I even mentioned the audio bug, but thats fixed using the method I describe above.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Who here wants HDTP 16xAA screenshots? I'll be sure to post a few when the full release comes out. Medieval 2 Total War looks fucking nutz with 16xAA. (runs better on 8x though so I keep it on 8x purely for the 60FPs instead of 40)
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I'd like to see a comparison shot.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

How do you get 16x AA (antialiasing)? My maximum here is 8xS. I can set anisotropic filtering at 16x though.

Whats the most graphically interesting area of DX? Screenshots of UNATCO or Liberty Island might not be interesting.

As I said, I'm getting 30fps, but no HDTP in there. Apparently I did have vsync on in the nvidia control panel. Now its 28 to 50fps I'll have to try an overclock later.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

How do you get 16x AA (antialiasing)? My maximum here is 8xS. I can set anisotropic filtering at 16x though.
you need to SLI or (that ATI equivalent thing) your graphics cards, that will allow you to use 8xAASLI and 16xAASLI. Or if you want you can use a dual monitor display for playing 2 games at once (flawless I might add)
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

justanotherfan wrote: Whats the most graphically interesting area of DX? Screenshots of UNATCO or Liberty Island might not be interesting.
Vandenburg, and the areas of Area 51 with lots of technical special effects (like Bob Page's force field, and the one generator area you get the Dark Age ending at), IMO.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

I'd be willing to bet that there's a significant positive correlation between the mental defects experienced by anorexics and graphics whores. Anorexics never think they're thin enough, and graphics whore never think they're running at a high enough resolution/frame rate/AA level/etc.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

ZylonBane wrote:I'd be willing to bet that there's a significant positive correlation between the mental defects experienced by anorexics and graphics whores. Anorexics never think they're thin enough, and graphics whore never think they're running at a high enough resolution/frame rate/AA level/etc.
I play FEAR at it's absolute minimum settings in 40x480. It looks like an N64 game with magically high detail enemies. :D
/offtopic
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I used to play Oblivion in pretty low settings before my last hardware update, and I lasted two weeks before I stopped playing because it was so damn ugly. Somehow I don't mind playing DX without all those nice new effects because DX was made to look decent without them, but Oblivion looked horrible without proper resolution on the normal maps, for example.

Playing DX with AA is a significant difference from playing it without, though. Ever since I tried it with AA, I haven't been able to go back, all those jagged edges are too annoying.

Zylon, if you don't like people who care about the aesthetics of computer games, you should probably GTFO the High Definition Texture Package project's forums... :?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

Jonas wrote:Zylon, if you don't like people who care about the aesthetics of computer games, you should probably GTFO the High Definition Texture Package project's forums... :?
Aaaaand once again my point eludes you.

There's a difference between wanting something to look good, and compulsivley cranking video card settings beyond where any sane person can tell the difference. Next generation it'll be 32XAA that looks great, and 16X AA that looks "crap". It never ends. That's how these people think.
Last edited by ZylonBane on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I'm just interested in how good Deus Ex can look. I don't play online, so I'm not too worried about the frame rate, just to keep it above 30fps at maximum quality. I think thats a fair concern.

I buy the midrange graphics cards. It usually means it costs less than half, and is the same as the high end, but without the overclocking that makes for extremely hot and loud cards. Since it costs less than half, I can upgrade more often and keep the hardware more balanced.

I had forgotten that SLI could do that, if I ever did know. Post some screenshots when you have time. Unless the difference is incredible, I'll still be upgrading to a ~8600GT instead of adding a second 7600GT.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Here's some screenshots with my above settings. Some are gamma corrected, some aren't, some have the flashlight on. I have no idea whats best. Each are under 300k, so there are some jpeg artifacts. Area51 is still a bit boring.

Edit: links dead, sorry.

I can tell the difference. Maybe the comparison is unfair because of the gamma settings, but I tried to cover that. Transparency antialiasing sure helps for Page's wires.
Last edited by justanotherfan on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.