OpenGL Renderer

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Well, the helmets look better. Now there should only be a mod to get rid of the insanely huge HUD :?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Next generation it'll be 32XAA that looks great, and 16X AA that looks "crap". It never ends. That's how these people think.
32xAA is outrageously good, but you only need it for rendering. At the moment 16xAA is great. the more AA the more real the edges look (as they start to blur) to compensate for the blurry look refresh rate on the monitor usually fixes that - at 60hz itz not a pretty picture. at 75hz its very pretty, I wish I could run at 120hz as that'd be less straining on my eyes.

my upgrade to SLI was due to the fact that previously I was running a 6200.. Btw WORST graphics card you can own! EVER. The GF6s were the most shittiest cards. the GF7 is intended for AA, says so on the box, I decided I wanted to upgrade due to the speed advantage. My first GF7600GS was a nice addition - especially once I ran Deus Ex, Oblivion and many other games on 8xSAA, made an incredible difference without as much as a 10fps drop. Hence I figured - lets pump some more frames into this so that I can actually play the games as the DEVELOPER intended, rather than having to put up with a broken game all the time. The result has truly changed my opinion of some games. Yet Graphics aren't important, as why I've been so bored with games lately. I've started playing Mechwarrior 2 again! (I can't get Titanium to work :*( I don't think anyone can)

My CPU is a 3.0Ghz, if I were an idiot i'd have a 5.4GHz Athlon64x2 (since they cost the same as an entire computer - and then there's the Mother board to add)

Max Res is G00D! Except I can't get higher than 1026x768 pity. I'm hoping to get a huge arse 19-20" monitor soon - as its bloody hard to use Photoshop at this size. Also that reminds me, I gotta fix my tablet too.

I had forgotten that SLI could do that, if I ever did know. Post some screenshots when you have time.
I'll look into it.
Zylon, if you don't like people who care about the aesthetics of computer games, you should probably GTFO
I second that. "I'm so cool and dangerous, I play games BELOW their recommended requirements, I'm not a conformist like these wankers" -ZylonBane That's basically what I got from your comments.

Please enjoy your 10FPS :D
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Yeah, shiny engineer, weird hat. I don't have truform or anything. The HUD looks terrible - it either needs a mod, or some blurring for the horrible jagged edges everywhere at this scaling. Datacube text is almost unreadable its so blocky.

I'd recommend a large LCD. I've been impressed with LCDs lately, and the size difference is getting extreme. I had a 21" CRT, but tossed it since the video quality was going down as the monitor aged. They're pretty cheap, but hard to find, and expensive to ship. Maybe the new LCDs with a greater colour gamut would help in photoshop. Just watch that the monitor is 16.7m colours.

I liked the GeForce 6600GT. The 7600GT is something like double the speed and it has transparency antialiasing, but otherwise the 6600GT was enough for me. The 7600GT was a forced upgrade with PCI-E. I hate the lowend cards. I have a GeForce 4mx and a 5200 FX. The 4mx was crap that couldn't play DX2, but I bought a more capable 5200 (passive, real DVI) for another machine. The only reason I've seen for getting a 8xxx card is DirectX10, but we'll see when the 8600's come out. That'll be another forced upgrade, since I'll need the 7600GT for another system.

It doesn't seem to end. We want things to look real. We're getting closer. Thats a good thing. The insane people who get the Ultra 8800+ GrandTourer OC Xtreem for 1400$ subsidize it for the rest of us, so god bless them, as long as they don't bore me to death with the +1fps details.

I'm bored with games too. Graphics are important, but there's a reason I think Deus Ex is the best game. Just look at the banding on the collumn in GC Nick, and yet I'm still here.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

DX10 will be good once we get some decent DX10 games.. Hence I'm not gonna upgrade for at least a good 6-12 months.

My dad should be here any second now with vista, YAY now I can fuck my system up!
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:I second that. "I'm so cool and dangerous, I play games BELOW their recommended requirements, I'm not a conformist like these wankers" -ZylonBane That's basically what I got from your comments.

Please enjoy your 10FPS :D
Quoted for comedy doesn't-even-realize-what-he's-said gold.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I understood what he meant.

Different purposes. I like games to look good, have a great story, be entertaining, be a challenge but not frustrating, etc. Graphics are a part of that since they help immerse me in the dynamically convergent synergy of the game ("it's more immersing"). Video quality entertains me as a part of what I described above, and large differences in hardware speed matter to that end, so we discuss graphics options.

AFAICT, you're turning off all the quality stuff to perform better as a player. With better hardware you could keep the quality options on high and still get high framerates, but doing well entertains you more than the quality. Thats fine.

Still, you are in the HighDefinitionTP forums, in the updated OpenGL renderer thread. If its all about FPS, stick with the DirectX7 renderer. The new OpenGL renderers are about better graphics. Hanging around in the thread arguing, its mildly trolling.

---- Anyway.

I'm told that the DX10 API is more efficient, so old games would get a boost. Of course DX10 is Vista only, so developers won't take advantage of it much since they need DX9 compatibility. Mixed bag there. It'll just be the direction I upgrade into.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Good luck, Vista has shit compatibilty with XP appz and games atm. Anyway, if you run old sutff, I'd recommend Virtual Machines. That way its all the natural enivronments and usually its rare that something will go wrong, though its been known to happen.

DirectX10 is interesting, but I have a feeling that developers won't even try to take it to the levels that it is Theoretically possible of.

What I'd like to see is Elite: Frontier 3 come out for DX10, as that would utterly shoot DirectX10 to a new standard. (as of Elite 2 the game has been INFINITE in size (it was massive) now if they just add a hell lot of action ala Privateer/Freelancer/Eve then we'd be alright)

I like the idea of retrofitting games, I think migrating Deus Ex to UT2004-2007 would be so damn good.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Ha, virtual machines. I have some ancient ones behind me. IIRC there's a P3 with an ISA Soundblaster for compatibility, a k6-3 behind that, and a few meters back there's everything back to a 286 and a Mac SE. They should have just broken compatibility with Vista, the way they were supposed to, put Win32 in maintenance.

I might have to upgrade the video sooner than I thought, else end up with a PC with no videocard. The 8800GTS is the only logical path from the 7600GT, until they come out with 8600's in late March to April. Supposedly the 8800 would cure my problem of 28fps at 1920x1200 in Deus Ex with 8xFSAA. Still, not happy about it. Huge unnecessary PSU drain, very hot card, relatively expensive, loud cooling compared to the VF-900CU, and the demo/benchmark for UT3 (aka. UT2007) STILL isn't out, so only nvidia knows which card is best at this point. UT3 has a story supposedly, I was a fan of UT and UT2004, and the DX UT3 port is still a possibility with DXR, so this has some importance.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

justanotherfan wrote:the DX UT3 port is still a possibility with DXR, so this has some importance.
I don't say it often, but that would be fucking awesome beyond the max! We'd just need a HHDTP package.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

I thought I would make this a sticky since it has the OpenGL options ready for cut and paste.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Red Mundus
Mole Person

Post by Red Mundus »

I just can't get this to work...

I dl'ed the newest Deus Ex OpenGL driver and put it in the system folder.

I replace [OpenGLDvr...] in the Deusex.ini with blocks of text I found on in this thread.

And then I run Deus Ex and choose OpenGL. It crashes and tells me general protection fault and a whole lot of gibberish.

I have HDTP installed and DE is version 1.112M (something like that.)

My video card is Ati Radeon X1650 Pro 512Mb , (I know I can run the game, I was curious if the card is doing something weird.)

I have the GOTY Steam version, is it possible Steam is blocking/screwing something up with the OpenGL drivers? ( I hope not...)
frosty-theaussie
Mole Person

Post by frosty-theaussie »

I've found out that the cause of the unchangeable gamma/brightness settings for some ATI users is linked to the "RefreshRate" variable in the ini. Set it to 0, and it should all be fine (works for me, at least).
Placebo
MJ12

Post by Placebo »

I wonder what they say now about 8600 cards :D

I'm planing on buying a brand new PC that will inherity my 6 years old Thunderbird.
I'm not sure between x1950GT and 8600gts

please post your opinions. I have some of mine.
i'll quote this: "Will Fallout 3 need dx10 card to play" -"No, you will not have to have a dx10 card to play fallout3"

How long do you think developers will support the dx9 generation of cards. The base is huge, and with Vista being thought as Windows ME2 i think i could enjoy the gameplay of future games.
ImageEvery morning, I meditate about love and peace... I stop after three seconds.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

You aren't gonna see a non-MS Vista only game until Vista becomes a platform gamers actually like. At the moment, Vista hurts performance and is, in general, pretty crappy compared to XP.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Vista is a massive loss for Microsoft. I suspect sooner or later Microsoft will go DX10 for XP and finally we won't have to worry about Vista. I suspect developers will just make do with DX9 if Microsoft doesn't co-operate. I'd have to say that if they don't fix it soon, no one will be using vista.