ARTICLE: Postmortem Of Deus Ex (Good Read)

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

ARTICLE: Postmortem Of Deus Ex (Good Read)

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

For those looking for a good read I recommend that you check this article out

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20001 ... tor_01.htm

Warren Spector wrote it about the success and failure of Deus ex, also that he gives hints that the inital project was going to be massive considering that nearly 1/2 of the levels and missions were cut from the very start of development.

Also note that there is a inital proposal on the site for Deus ex, called "Shooter".. Or what would eventually become Deus Ex.

Good read, really interesting stuff. though I was a bit upset that he makes no reference to any cyberpunk materials that clearly had been used in the game's development.

Most people have probably already read it... ;P
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

I have to sign up to Gamasutra to read it?

:shock:

Do I have to be a business owner or work in the game industry to sign up? The registration form seems...pretty specific :?

[edit]
Using my 1337 web developer skills, I acquired a link to the article that doesn't require you to register to Gamasutra

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20001 ... or_pfv.htm
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

There is another site:

http://nuwen.net/dx.html

Bottem Article... ;) Though I think this website is overly biased towards william gibson, however he does a good job at analysing deus ex none the less. Definately recommend reading it.. NOTE: SPOILERS!!!

Though you miss out on the Bob Page concept (or cleanly shaven paul??)

EDIT: Never Mind (Master_Kale :P)
Last edited by Mr_Cyberpunk on Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Woah, Never ever ever challenge kale! that was impressive..

PFA hahahaha nice one.. Thats the best thing ive ever heard.

You truely are a master..
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Woah, Never ever ever challenge kale! that was impressive..

PFA hahahaha nice one.. Thats the best thing ive ever heard.

You truely are a master..
Hehe, thanks for the compliment. At first, when I clicked the link, I was redirected to a login page. Right-clicking the link and "Save As"ing let me save the article. Unfortunately, the saved page also redirected me to the login page, so I had to go in and take out the code that was redirecting me.

When I removed that bit of code, I could read the article, but none of the pictures showed up. I was going to try and find the images and save them all individually, but luckily I saw a link to a "Printer Friendly Version" which allowed me to read the complete article, with pictures, without logging in...

What a way to start my morning! And Mr_Cyberpunk, thanks for the read. I haven't read it all yet, but what I have read is a great insight into the game.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

LOL, spoilers. yes.

Thanks for the article, I believe I read the second one, I'll read through the gamasutra one when I'm reading news articles.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

justanotherfan wrote:LOL, spoilers. yes.

Thanks for the article, I believe I read the second one, I'll read through the gamasutra one when I'm reading news articles.
The second one IS the Gamasutra article :lol:

Its just the printer-friendly version
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

You do realise that some "Unfortunate" gamers out there have never actually finnished Deus Ex, they get distracted from the game and never actually finnish the game. I was like that for about 3 weeks during 2001, then I bothered to finnish it!
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Ah, meant the third, the proposal for the game AFAIR. Read that. Just read the first article (the second link ;-), interesting to see the changes that went in. For example "an all-human cast is sorta boring", "exactly how exciting is reality?", etc, very true. I think they got a good balance though, I'm having trouble remembering any boring parts of the game, or entirely impossible occurances (other than "dispatching a whole platoon with a pocket knife"). Simulations should be like real life, flexible like that, but unreal enough to be even more freeing and fun, no concequences.

I'm sure there are people who haven't played through. one person I know kept crashing in Paris because of a hardware problem. Just hard to believe that anyone here could get a "spoiler" for anything in the game ;-)
Fig455
Mole Person

Post by Fig455 »

I think I read those a while back, but kudos for the refresher. I finished Deus EX and Invisible War both today (old vet just a replay). Weird, but it just happened to be a coincidence. I have just been replaying them together and happened to finish them on the same evening. I have to say, I REALLY enjoyed myself in IW this time. I renegaded (kill 'em all ending as I call it). Such a sad, bleak game. The ending was even moreso.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Yes, it was bleak. Not much hope for humanity in any of the endings. Felt kinda like Mortal Kombat 3, absorbing souls, earth is taken by nomads, etc, I guess it just went too far into the future without a writer with lots of vision. They started DX2 with the intent of fixing shortcomings in Deus Ex, but things were rushed and hobbled by the console version....I just wish they'd open up the source for Deus Ex or something, they could keep ownership of the characters depending on the licence.

I'll play through again. My PC, after a brief stint on an S3 Virge, is back up. Played through Alice again, going to play through the Doom 3 expansion thing
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Sorry for the double post. I found this interesting, hadn't seen it before, perhaps many others have. It has a good short write-up on why DX was impressive, stuff like empathy, "non-cardboard enemies", sense of place, etc.
http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/deusex/deusex.htm

Edit: Not going to triple post. found this as well
http://www.deusex-machina.com/articles/ ... deusex.asp

Explinations of things like ""Incorrect inform -- ps -cl attach.", a planned slave trader in hong kong, and an explination of the Howard Strong weirdness in Area 51, etc. Mentions Richard III in beth's room, now that I've read that I guess I'll get some more insight into the story.