So what IS actually happening with this project?

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Tollund.Man
Mole Person

So what IS actually happening with this project?

Post by Tollund.Man »

I'm not meaning to offend at all by making this post. It's a personal request, but I have no doubt that there are many others who feel the same way I do. That said, I've read the posting rules, and I don't think this breaks them. This post is just a question from someone who considers themselves a fan of HDTP, but is wondering why there isn't at least some new news.

I believe it was last year at about mid-summer HDTP asked for help from the community at large in outsourcing some computing power (somewhere on the forums, probably- I'm not going to go digging for it). Apparently some numbers needed to be crunched on models, and a program was written distribute the workload over computers volunteered by the community and project members. I downloaded a linux client of the program, running it for two days, stopping and restarting it whenever it hanged, downloading a new client after intermittent problems, and stopping it when it finally quit sending new data. I even believe someone posted that the program was a success, and was a great help in porting over models to a "bones" system or somesuch.

So the question(s) - Was the above program actually helpful? Did the community contribute to HDTP, and if so, can they help in such a way again? Finally, is there anything that novice fans can still do to help get this project released sooner?

I realize that the aforementioned program was unique. I've never seen another mod team try something like that, and it was a great opportunity for less computer-savvy folks like myself to help out. I'm asking these questions because there's a drought of good information about the progress of HDTP on these forums. Most of the posts are complaints that it's not out yet, followed on by replies of "when it's done" (which are okay), and then a smattering of the latest internet memes (which are annoying). Since I need the latter like I need a hole in the head, I've mulled over posting this for a while. Honestly, I can't imagine what kind of response I'll get - but almost anything at this point is better than nothing. I'm simply hoping that a useful update is coming down the line.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Re: So what IS actually happening with this project?

Post by Jane_Denton »

Tollund.Man wrote:I'm not meaning to offend at all by making this post. It's a personal request, but I have no doubt that there are many others who feel the same way I do. That said, I've read the posting rules, and I don't think this breaks them. This post is just a question from someone who considers themselves a fan of HDTP, but is wondering why there isn't at least some new news.

I believe it was last year at about mid-summer HDTP asked for help from the community at large in outsourcing some computing power (somewhere on the forums, probably- I'm not going to go digging for it). Apparently some numbers needed to be crunched on models, and a program was written distribute the workload over computers volunteered by the community and project members. I downloaded a linux client of the program, running it for two days, stopping and restarting it whenever it hanged, downloading a new client after intermittent problems, and stopping it when it finally quit sending new data. I even believe someone posted that the program was a success, and was a great help in porting over models to a "bones" system or somesuch.

So the question(s) - Was the above program actually helpful? Did the community contribute to HDTP, and if so, can they help in such a way again? Finally, is there anything that novice fans can still do to help get this project released sooner?

I realize that the aforementioned program was unique. I've never seen another mod team try something like that, and it was a great opportunity for less computer-savvy folks like myself to help out. I'm asking these questions because there's a drought of good information about the progress of HDTP on these forums. Most of the posts are complaints that it's not out yet, followed on by replies of "when it's done" (which are okay), and then a smattering of the latest internet memes (which are annoying). Since I need the latter like I need a hole in the head, I've mulled over posting this for a while. Honestly, I can't imagine what kind of response I'll get - but almost anything at this point is better than nothing. I'm simply hoping that a useful update is coming down the line.
I've read plenty of news about HDTP on this Forum... they are working on it and there is progress... :mrgreen:
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

It's a fair enough question.

Ok, the number crunching allowed us to circumvent perhaps a year of solid character animation work, so while we don't have new models for ALL the characters (there are a lot), we have new models for quite a few, animated, and looking good. I think that's basically it for characters tho, since they're soooo much fucking work.

We're also trying to get as many weapons finished off as we can, and that's chugging along fairly nicely, if not steadily: it's a jumps and pauses process.

Metche has just finished off lots of new textures for the ammo boxes and various pickups, and those are going in as we speak.

Basically whenever I get a free moment I'm sitting down and seeing what I can get done, which again is more of a fits and starts type scenario rather than steady plodding. It'd be easier if we didn't have jobs (hell, if the entire team was unemployed...man we'd be flying through this stuff), but sadly we do, so we do what we can around that.

I'm hoping to get enough done this weekend to maybe make a few screenies showing off lots of new stuff, but we'll see.

Anyway, hope this in some way helps. We're not really doing newsposts because..well: where would you rather we applied our time, eh? News or...actually doing stuff? :)
Tollund.Man
Mole Person

Post by Tollund.Man »

Thanks for the answers! I'm glad to hear about things in a bit more detail, and I'm very happy to hear that you're planning on some screenshots.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Tollund.Man? That's an interesting nickname, might I ask if it has any significance?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

http://www.emmersivestudios.com/

second news post down :)
Tollund.Man
Mole Person

Post by Tollund.Man »

Jonas wrote:Tollund.Man? That's an interesting nickname, might I ask if it has any significance?
Not particularly. Tollund Man was a corpse found in a peat bog, in Denmark, I think. He was particularly well preserved, and looking at his face I always thought he must have been an interesting fellow. I was a history major in college, so the interest is academic. The moniker is just something I occasionally use for online games, mostly because it's pretty unique, and also because I spend so much time in the respawn queue. Somehow it helps rationalize my lack of skill.

The facts on the guy are pretty straight here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollund_Man

Again, thanks for sharing some info, guys. I don't have any doubt about the project getting done, and done well, especially after seeing TNM released.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Tollund.Man wrote:a corpse found in a peat bog, in Denmark, I think
That's right, OTPfans! Jonas's secret history revealed in episode #4!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:That's right, OTPfans! Jonas's secret history revealed in episode #4!
Don't make me come over there and bitch-slap you, Doctor! I know where you live!

But yeah I know who (or I guess what) Tollund Manden is, I was just wondering why an American would use that as his nick name :P

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine