Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: New Download

Post by DaveW »

SHodges wrote:And why the hell would I pay "£40k" for a group of people that can't manage to do a texture pack after years and years of promoting circle jerking amongst their fanbase in favor of actually doing something? Why the hell would I pay £1 for Anna Navarre cleavage? People only donate to mod projects that have actually done something in the last few years, and they usually only donate to them when they don't appear to use the services of texture artists at the cusp of puberty.
The last proper media release was a few months short of a year ago. Some small media trickled out, but there's much more we could show. But we're not, because we're working on releasing the mod. So this statement is a bit uninformed :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

SHodges wrote:bullshit
You are: An asshole.

I am: Not on the HDTP team.

You are also: Banned.

Have a shitty day.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Who was that guy who got banned some time ago because he was wining constantly about HDTP?

I'm fairly sure this is him, because he couldn't stop talking about the "Anna Navarre cleavage". I guess it totally turns him on because he is a retard.
encinodude
NSF

Post by encinodude »

gamer0004 wrote:Who was that guy who got banned some time ago because he was wining constantly about HDTP?

I'm fairly sure this is him, because he couldn't stop talking about the "Anna Navarre cleavage". I guess it totally turns him on because he is a retard.
I, personally, enjoy cleavage.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I think you're thinking of ZylonBane, and no, this was definitely not ZylonBane. Zylon was often insufferably arrogant, but he was not a brash idiot. To be honest I'm still not sure he deserved to be banned, but he was just getting on a lot of our nerves with his constant negativity :)

But he really liked TNM, so he's mostly forgiven.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Sl@y3D for my n@me
Mole Person

Post by Sl@y3D for my n@me »

:o Oh god! Oh no! It appears that a bunch of developers are doing something that will benefit a moderately sized community, FOR FREE.

IT'S HORRIBLE.

IT'S REVOLTING.

It's pretty damn generous considering a great deal of posts are now directed towards flaming the mod. This mod may have been in development for a long time, but hey, this is not a huge bunch of dedicated people with nothing else to do whatsoever, this is a bunch of kind individuals who are working to create something good for all those who have played this classic game.

Think about it. These people are trying to modernise a game that came out in, what, 2001 is it? That isn't easy when you don't have all the latest features of a brand new engine, like the newer Unreal engines or the Source engine. From what I hear, its damn near impossible to do the most simple tasks, so you have to be super careful lest UnrealED should refuse to start. Now, these people are not doing this as their day-to-day jobs, oh no, they have jobs BESIDE this mod. They aren't making money off it. How could you possibly come here and DEMAND the mod be completed right now? Are they your slaves? Not that I know of.

I downloaded the HDTP demo. I quite liked it, it showed some impressive graphics for an old engine. A lot of thought went into these models. Now, I was not a huge fan of the new Gunther model, but I APPRECIATED that someone took the time to do it for us, the fans of Deus Ex. What if I came to the forums and demanded that they fix the model NOW just because I don't like it?

You want the mod to be finished, yet you flame the team here who are working on it? You know what happened to the Half-Life 1 community when a similar thing happened? http://amxmod.net/ is what happened. This mod was an excellent extension for Half-Life servers. Thanks to the amount of flamers, and people hacking their forums and site, the development team left and development ended.

So if you want that to happen, go ahead and post. It just makes you a hypocrite.

It's a shame that my first post was a rant. Love HDTP and TNM. I joined the chat room for TMN in-game once, because I didn't realise that it really was an IRC client. Ooh boy. :lol:

Also, Jonas, someone appears to be spamming the forums with a derogatory name directed at you.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Sl@y3D for my n@me wrote:It's pretty damn generous considering a great deal of posts are now directed towards flaming the mod.
On the plus side, it looks like it's all one (very bored and very unintelligent) person. It's kinda sad when you think about it.
Also, Jonas, someone appears to be spamming the forums with a derogatory name directed at you.
Don't worry, I was way ahead of him ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Thanks Jonas :)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

To be honest I'm still not sure he deserved to be banned, but he was just getting on a lot of our nerves with his constant negativity :)
Don't you remember how much crap he used to give HDTP and NV? he only liked TNM because it wasn't succeeding at what he was trying to do (Which is HDify System Shock 2) TNM was a game in its own right a Total Conversion- he can't get offended by that work, he can however get offended by ours because the idiot thought he was an authority on the subject.. despite the fact that HDTP and NV were higher res than his mod and ours got far further than his ever could- I recall my arguments at him were "and why aren't you working on your mod again?". Lets not forget his mod has been in development for just as long as HDTP has been. In fact if you go on the Deus Ex 3 forums you'll remember why you banned him (in every HDTP post on there he says bullshit negative stuff about HDTP about how it'll never be released ect.)

You banned El Cid for less remember so I still justify your actions. I don't think DaveW will be happy if you let that asshole back in either, we were really happy when you banned him as we were both sick of having to defend our actions against a douche bag who was really just jealous of the work that had been done- because he wished he could do that with System Shock 2.

So please don't let him back in.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:You banned El Cid for less remember so I still justify your actions.
Direct personal attacks on the members of the TNM team? I wouldn't call that "less".
So please don't let him back in.
Fair enough.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
tolknaz
Mole Person

Post by tolknaz »

Regarding Zylonbane, i'd say in some of the heated discussions i've read here he has quite valid points. Other times he has been needlessly blunt and sometimes outright daft however. Still, this is internet, so i say toughen the f... up. At least the guy has good eye and is a somewhat accomplished modder himself, unlike the trolls who have been making these waawaawaa, hdtp dead waawaawaa posts lately. Remember that without blunt critique, valid or otherwise, many a famous mod would be far less today.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Unfounded attack against SHTUP
You're starting to sound a bit like one of the trolls ranting against HDTP now yourself.
I mean, seriously? "His mod is lower-res than ours"? You mean it's easier to make textures that still look good when you're limited to 256x256 by the engine? Debatable at best.
SHTUP also has a lot less contributors than HDTP and, as far as I know, only one full-time artist working on it.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

The thing is Zylon was never happy with anything HDTP did and it gets to a point where his blunt critique becomes insulting and counter productive.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

I've always found him useful with regards to any modelling / texturing work, so long as you take his words with a grain of salt and know when to ignore them and do your own thing. His criticisms are always valid in some regard, even if he's not very polite at wording them.

Your mileage may vary, but attacking his mod because you don't like the way he posts is low, especially considering that a lot of other people contributed to it over the years.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I've said it before, I'll say it again: He's a very talented man, but is also an utter asshat.

Sometimes the latter just got in the way of the former too much for even OTPs jaded sensibilities.

Anyway, I'm gonna get back to photoshopping new images of gunther hermann in a box (apparently?).