Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
metche_steele
Illuminati

FORUM CHANGES ANNOUNCEMENT - IMPORTANT -

Post by metche_steele »

Just to let you know there are going to be some forum changes happening.

The models and texture forums will becoming private for internal HDTP use only. We will use these to internally critique our work.

This forum (General Disc.) will be remaining open for public usage.

Fear not! We will have a new forum called 'Developer Journals' where you can keep up and comment on our work!

All this is to streamline our feedback progress. That means you'll be seeing more finished products instead of wips ;)

Metche.
fschepper
Mole Person

Post by fschepper »

I don't like this :cry:
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Why not? Everybody can still give opinions about a model but the pictures released to the public will be nearer finished than before.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

HDTP needs a little more privacy, the impact on our work is less and less the more people see of it. We want to go for that whole WOW factor on release days. Trust me its for the best, and the community still has a say. But most importantly HDTP has a place to discuss things in private rather than doing it over MSN.

The community won't be left out in the cold. Metche has the right idea, she knows what she's doing.
fschepper
Mole Person

Post by fschepper »

"WOW factor".. Oh well... Didn't know that publicity is more important than the work itself

I did two textures because I knew from the forum that they didn't exist and was proud to show my pictures among the others..
You make it a lot harder for potential members to help with this change imho..

I'm not a member of the team yet (looks to me that no more 2d artists are needed), but still very interested in every bit of progress..

But if you think these changes are necessary, ok.. *sigh*
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Publicity is actually rather important in keeping projects alive. And it makes it a lot more interesting for people upon release.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

fschepper wrote:"WOW factor".. Oh well... Didn't know that publicity is more important than the work itself
Publicity can make or break the "work itself". As it is, the only people really commenting on anything HDTP has come out with recently has been team members. We'll still release content as it gets completed, but there's something to be said about the "unknown" factor of a product. Will HDTP live up to the hype? If we keep the forums set up so that everyone can see the work we've done, then there will be no mysterious nature around this mod. At that point, who cares if you install HDTP, since you've already seen everything?

This is a smart move on Metche's part that I think will create a stir around what we do, much like TNM has done with keeping most of what it's done under wraps.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I didn't much like that there was a private forum, that's fine though. Concidering how often the Screenshots area was/is updated, I'm not expecting much in developer journals. Without the ability to give feedback during development (not after development, when major changes would be frowned on), I don't see much point to being a forum regular. For someone outside the project, now HDTP will happen when it happens and it'll be seen in RSS.

Publicity and privacy are good, you know what's best for the project. I think you just killed the forums though, other than the gunther thread (which should have been in models) there's nothing popular or terribly interesting now. I didn't know the Gunther/NSF_Terrorist textures were causing such project-internal friction.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Dude don't be soo mopey.. we'll update frequently, we're just worried about there being a big Debate over the projects work. Particularly the Denton debate grrrrr....

We keep things away from the forums so that we can just get on with the work... simply it saves us time in the end.

The community wont be left out in the dark though, the team frequently roams this forum. We'll continue taking part in discussions and if possible let you know how things are doing, essentially though the team needs to work a lot closer and disclosed. ;)

Dont worrie too much..
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

justanotherfan wrote:I didn't much like that there was a private forum, that's fine though. Concidering how often the Screenshots area was/is updated, I'm not expecting much in developer journals. Without the ability to give feedback during development (not after development, when major changes would be frowned on), I don't see much point to being a forum regular. For someone outside the project, now HDTP will happen when it happens and it'll be seen in RSS.

Publicity and privacy are good, you know what's best for the project. I think you just killed the forums though, other than the gunther thread (which should have been in models) there's nothing popular or terribly interesting now. I didn't know the Gunther/NSF_Terrorist textures were causing such project-internal friction.
I think youre being very over reactive tbh. The guys will post in the dev journal section for your opinions as and when they are required ..whats the difference??
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

whats the difference??

I have to post my bitching in another forum now :x
lol
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Mr_Cyberpunk-Trust me its for the best, and the community still has a say. But most importantly HDTP has a place to discuss things in private rather than doing it over MSN.
I thought there already was a hidden forum, I guess that was just MSN. I don't like the idea of a private forum (I like transparency) but it can be helpful, bigger problems can be sorted out quietly, and members can share personal information more freely, solidifying the group a bit more.
Master_Kale-Will HDTP live up to the hype? If we keep the forums set up so that everyone can see the work we've done, then there will be no mysterious nature around this mod. At that point, who cares if you install HDTP, since you've already seen everything?
Well, adding the mystery adds to the hype, making it more difficult to live up to. And I disagree that HDTP won't be installed because the new things have been seen. They haven't been played. We've seen Gunther run around a room, it's more than enough to critique him but it's entirely outside the story (I want to say "outside the game", but it's within the basic game). It doesn't matter to me how many new ammo clips and plants and ceiling fans I see, they look great because I'll play them in-game and thats what'll be great.
Master_Kale-This is a smart move on Metche's part that I think will create a stir around what we do, much like TNM has done with keeping most of what it's done under wraps.
I really hate to say much about TNM since I know so little about it and it being so generous with HDTP. More than a year ago, I checked out a bunch of Deus Ex mods. The only one I found to install was the Cassandra Project, which seemed dead, everything else seemed dead, DX Retex and all that. I remember seeing TNM, there hadn't been news updates at the time and there were no releases, I figured it was dead at the time too. I can remember a few times in these forums that HDTP was assumed to be dead. My point, if I have one, is probably something about the mods seeming more like their dead than creating mystery when there isn't much discussion.

Not worried. But mopey, yeah, I think that anyone in the community would be, we've lost access to the major discussion about what the characters should look like. When a lot of progress has been made on a single model and that gets shown, the artist won't want to change it much (since it's much more "done" for them at that point), or they won't be shown anyway (the mystery bit). In any case it means there's less input from people who aren't in the project. Anyone in the project will be happy though, they can get on with what they're doing (and they don't have to listen to me whine ;-).

I thought it worked well for Gunther and the NSF Terrorist. That could be just because I'm happy with the end result though. Some major changes were made to both the models and textures (very difficult to do when both are more finalized), and I think they both came out (in the last available shots) looking much more awesome. With the Dentons I think it could work the same way. I was laughing earlier that there's so many varieties of them, but there isn't really when it's important to HDTP; DX2 is a completely different game (as most in the community have loudly complained), the short-coat PS2 version was never used, the the promo/ad is again very similar (I have a scan of it, "...so is his job security."), so all that's left are the in-game variants which are just as straightforward as other characters. The appearance on the game installation medium is close to the standard appearance option despite looking like a photo (HA! managed to rephrase the line causing the 500 Internal Server Error, without using any of the same words).

It'll save time, and some mid-development disagreements, and that might be better in the long run. But I do think that it'll end up being not quite as good as it could be with community debate and constructive criticism, I'm of course also annoyed selfishly because I'm out of the loop, and the forums are boring and empty now without the HDTP related content. I know my way around photoshop, I can edit but I can't draw so it's difficult to create something new, so I'm kicking myself for not having learned how to texture and joined.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

justanotherfan wrote: Not worried. But mopey, yeah, I think that anyone in the community would be, we've lost access to the major discussion about what the characters should look like. When a lot of progress has been made on a single model and that gets shown, the artist won't want to change it much (since it's much more "done" for them at that point), or they won't be shown anyway (the mystery bit). In any case it means there's less input from people who aren't in the project. Anyone in the project will be happy though, they can get on with what they're doing (and they don't have to listen to me whine ;-).
That won't be the case, infact I will be posting something in there soon. When I put Gunther up, I was more or less ready to call him done yet there were a load of comments about him and I changed him, that will also be the case with the rest of the characters.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

actually, what j.a.f. was saying about the dentons made me wonder: with the original meshes, you could get away with the different skin tones on the same mesh, as significant facial characteristics (I'm thinking primarily the wider nose and larger lips of the black denton skin, and to a lesser degree the hispanic skin) could be conveyed via texture alone.

With more detail meshes, is this still the case? Or will you have to make two or three different heads to get the same effect?

Also, forum restructure...meh, I can cope. You guys are doing a great job.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

justanotherfan wrote: I really hate to say much about TNM since I know so little about it and it being so generous with HDTP. More than a year ago, I checked out a bunch of Deus Ex mods. The only one I found to install was the Cassandra Project, which seemed dead, everything else seemed dead, DX Retex and all that. I remember seeing TNM, there hadn't been news updates at the time and there were no releases, I figured it was dead at the time too. I can remember a few times in these forums that HDTP was assumed to be dead. My point, if I have one, is probably something about the mods seeming more like their dead than creating mystery when there isn't much discussion.
Hmm, you must have checked us out quite a long while ago, back when we weren't so regular with our news updates. We've been posted weekend updates for over a year now.

I agree that a lack of updates can cause a mod to appear dead, however, metche knows it too, and isn't likley to let website updates slack.

It's quite possible that the best results would be obtained if everyone had an input, however, it would likley take at least 10 times as long to complete anything. For proof, I point you to any democratic government, and the amount of time it takes them to do anything at all:-p
-Life does not snap to the x-axis