Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Phase 1/2 Journal

Post by lofaesofa »

Hi everyone,

I thought i'd bash out an update on Phase 1, in between listening to the FFVII OST and calculating drug dose-response curves.

If you've been paying attention to the progress counter on the homepage you should see that Phase 1 has crept up past the 80% mark in the last week.

I intend to skewer the last of the remaining models on my digital spear, all finished for Christmas.

The textures are another affair... But we shall see.

For those of you that didn't know, Phase 2 consists on 6 models. A significantly lower number than Phase 1! I expect that Phase 2 models will be complete soon after Phase 1.

Rock on Phase 3!
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I've noticed it and thought about it too. I'd expect a great influx of users once something has been released. A project thats improving graphics in a game is of interest to some, a download that'll improve graphics in a game is news to many.

I'm surprised Phase 1 is so comprehensive compared to the others. Impressive to see how much is done. I'm seeing a lot of repetition of the name "Lofaesofa" in the list of "Model Completed By", well done :)
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Once weve got a grip on phase 1 and 2 ...I shal open phase 3. Phase 3 will be actually Phase 5 (I believe), on the HDTP gameplan (for non members - this is a spreadsheet detailing every model/tex we'll be working on. It is chopped up into phases). Its the phase with all the containers and barrels.

Well done guys :D Its so amazing to see everything progressing so nicely now after 2 years :D
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Are you guys planning on a release once you got all the deco out of the way?

I always imagined there would be three releases, one for decoration, one for items (weapons etc.), and one for characters. But I have no idea if this "plan" was something my brain just sort of made up, because I'm not sure how I got that idea into my head.

Anyway... I think it would be good with a release once all the non-inventory models have been HDTPified.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Jonas wrote:Are you guys planning on a release once you got all the deco out of the way?

I always imagined there would be three releases, one for decoration, one for items (weapons etc.), and one for characters. But I have no idea if this "plan" was something my brain just sort of made up, because I'm not sure how I got that idea into my head.

Anyway... I think it would be good with a release once all the non-inventory models have been HDTPified.
eating toast and replying lol ...
im thinking the same thoughts jonas.

Initially we were thinking of releasing this phase by phase ..but to be honest ...I think it would be much more successful and have a greater impact if we merged a few of the phases together. We still need to review the situation more however so im not like 'This is what is definatly going to happen' ...but we certainly are not in a rush to release this baby ;)
Diminished7th
Mole Person

Post by Diminished7th »

justanotherfan wrote:I'd expect a great influx of users once something has been released...
Will source packages or binary installers be made available for Linux users?
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

Another update:

Just 6 models left, which hopefully I can reduce to 3 this weekend.

Microscope
Plant2
Flowers
Tumbleweed
LifeSupportBase
WHRedFlowers

If I work especially hard then I might complete the phase... Fingers crossed!

@Diminished7th: I've no idea i'm afraid, we've not talked too much about the distribution methods yet. I suggest asking Metche, although I suspect Jonas might know.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Source packages are needed for Mac users, so I expect you can just use the Mac downloads to compile the mod for Linux.

Not that I have the faintest idea how Linux works though, I only ever used it to quickly test laptops which had no OS installed.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Red
NSF

Post by Red »

I've been chucking my two cents in wherever I can, but please... give use some eye candy! I -- and no doubt many others -- want to drool over the progress that we see happening! :P
If at first you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

A screenshot comparison of the Plant3 model that JayJay and I are currently working on:

The contrast of the leaves will be increased, along with darkening of the edges as seen in the original. The scale of the foliage will be increased too.

Last edited by lofaesofa on Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I agree you should add more contrast and dark edges, but as far as I can tell now, it already looks so much better than the original :D
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

Now that I think about it, Lofa, maybe the plant's leaves could be bent downwards a little at the tips to simulate their natural gravitational tendencies? Like in the original. At the moment, if anything, they seem to be bending upwards.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Plants often bend upwards toward the light source when they have enough water. But yeah, the old one had broad leaves that seemed heavier (maybe just since they're darker).
Red
NSF

Post by Red »

I can't think of anywhere more appropriate to print this, but as everyone who has played Deus Ex knows, breaking things is fun! The hours I've spent smashing plants, chairs and cleanerbots... Anyway, the wreckage that results from breaking a potplant is going to have to be remodelled and retextured to reflect the new design, isn't it? Breaking this wonderful new plant to be greeted with the old wreckage is going to seem weird. I bet that just made your job harder! :P
If at first you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Actually, there are only a few 'fragment' types that dx uses. Wood, metal, and such. So each individual model won't have to have a 'broken' model.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis