Contributing to Our Development Process!

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Fred
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Re: Contributing to Our Development Process!

Post by Fred »

Salk wrote:
Fred wrote:I thoght the project died but thats really awesome that it is still alive.
Scary to read this from a team member.

Yeah i could imagine, but im some kind of ex-member, didnt work on the Project for 2 or more years now, and i didnt really inform me about the current status.
I thougt I saw somebody. Maybe just a homeless guy.
Ebenezer Grymm
Thug

Post by Ebenezer Grymm »

So it's officially dead yet or not?

Everything I'm reading so far like even the staff don't know what's done and what's not and "animations" that have been the holdup for what... at least 6 years now is pointing towards dead.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

If I tell you it's dead, will you go away?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Jonas wrote:If I tell you it's dead, will you go away?
So how do we tell everyone the mod is dead while keeping it so non trolls are not turned away in dismay??
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

m3rc1l3ss wrote:
Jonas wrote:If I tell you it's dead, will you go away?
So how do we tell everyone the mod is dead while keeping it so non trolls are not turned away in dismay??
What if we apply Schrodinger's cat to the mod?
That should do it, I think.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Soundwave
Mole Person

Post by Soundwave »

I think the primary problem is simply that a lot of people (including myself) who have heard about this Project and are DX Fanatics are a) extremely excited about it and b) would like to play it ASAP.
I have been visiting the board for quite some time now, primary goal: Find out when its going to be released. Reason: It inhales new life into one of the best games ever made.
Needless to say, there is only extremely vague info with plenty of dodging and talking around on it, which is understandable given the fact that this is something people invest their free time into.
However, a little more insight into how its progressing and all would be awesome.
And I think most visitors and fans would be more than fine with that.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Soundwave wrote:I think the primary problem is simply that a lot of people (including myself) who have heard about this Project and are DX Fanatics are a) extremely excited about it and b) would like to play it ASAP.
I have been visiting the board for quite some time now, primary goal: Find out when its going to be released. Reason: It inhales new life into one of the best games ever made.
Needless to say, there is only extremely vague info with plenty of dodging and talking around on it, which is understandable given the fact that this is something people invest their free time into.
However, a little more insight into how its progressing and all would be awesome.
And I think most visitors and fans would be more than fine with that.
*Dodges the topic entirely* Perhaps someone else may be able to help you with that... *Spontaneously bursts into flames*
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

m3rc1l3ss wrote:
*Dodges the topic entirely* Perhaps someone else may be able to help you with that... *Spontaneously bursts into flames*
Rofl, you win.

Only those flames should be extinguished, not the faith in HDTP.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Gahhhrrrlic
Thug

Post by Gahhhrrrlic »

If I may float an idea here...would it be terribly unreasonable for you (someone at HDTP, probably DDL) to provide the public with 3 data points (time, quantity) representing how many animations of the total to be completed, have been done at 3 points in time. If nothing else it will give a bunch of ppl some data that they can extrapolate to their hearts content. It would be comparable to the progress bars that used to be publicized for this mod and would fill some pretty deep voids of curiosity without committing yourselves in any way since data is data and projections are not necessarily reliable at all. We're all like drug addicts in need of a fix, that's all, and some semi-meaningless data would go a long way towards sating our unbounded curiosity.
demercel
Mole Person

Post by demercel »

@Gahhhrrrlic: Don't bother. I came here these days after maybe two years without checking what is going on and from all the posts I read i understand, that if are asking in any way about how the project is going you will be considered "idiot" or "troll" (this is logical OR, so the case could be that both are true). Metche is keeping her? voice down, but Jonas is bashing everybody and there are few non-developers, who are insulting everybody who asks about progress or release date. So basically as far as I understand it (I am too lazy to give qutations, but If I am not banned after this post and some of the developers disagree with my picture I will make the effort). You are only allowed to say how great they are and that you are religiously devoted that they are gods, without asking any questions, express any doubts or wanting or bagging for anything. This site is not for people, who want to know what is going with the project, this is a showroom for developers, who want approval and admiration from the fanbase of DX, but not giving anything in return. They justify that with the voluntary, non-payed nature of their work, even explaining, that they may not public their mod after it is finished. So the mod and the site belong to them and they can do whatever they want - banning ppl, calling them trolls and just mildly putting their garddogs, who call every visitor "f***ing idiot" to their place, because garddogs are not masters and should know that. So my advise to you is - do not ask, suggest, or express any qustion, idea or negative feeling (disbelief, impatience, etc ) and just wait or tell them how great they are. Probably they will finish it - after all Metche did the effort to write in another forum back in 2008 that they are already there and the mod will be out soon, so proaably this year or the next, or...
But please do not suggest any way of them keeping you and us informed about heir progress, because at first you will considered idiot, who does not read other similar posts and after you try to defend yourself you will considered troll. Really, just give a look to other posts, some very polite and normal like yours and their responses.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

That's a lot of nonsense. The people who get called idiots and trolls are the ones who go about proclaiming that the mod is dead or demanding that it be released right now because they want it.

More polite posters generally just get reminded of Cohn's Law:

Cohn's Law
"The more time you spend in reporting on what you are doing, the less time you have to do anything. Stability is achieved when you spend all your time reporting on the nothing you are doing."
SleepyHe4d
Thug

Post by SleepyHe4d »

Nameless Voice wrote:Cohn's Law
"The more time you spend in reporting on what you are doing, the less time you have to do anything. Stability is achieved when you spend all your time reporting on the nothing you are doing."
Or they can spend 5 minutes a week making a 1 paragraph progress update post and we can wait the extra day it takes to release because of the time spent making 1 update post per week. At least that way it'll keep us more enthusiastic and interested, provide fan service, ect.

Heck, even a, "We didn't do anything this week because we were busy" post would be appreciated.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

demercel wrote:Jonas is bashing everybody and there are few non-developers, who are insulting everybody who asks about progress or release date.
I would appreciate it if you would back that completely baseless accusation up with some actual examples of such behaviour. I suspect that you weren't around when we weren't manually screening new users, when every couple of weeks, some tosser with a script would create a new account with a throwaway email address and spam the forums with 2000 posts of "Jonas sucks cock" or "HDTP sleeps with your mother" or something worthless like that. That's who we've been bashing, and if you don't call that trolling, then I have absolutely no idea what is.
So basically as far as I understand it (I am too lazy to give qutations, but If I am not banned after this post and some of the developers disagree with my picture I will make the effort).
You once said that you like to rape babies.

But, you know, I'm too lazy to give quotations.

And just so you know, it takes a lot to get banned around here. But of course, feel free to keep implying that we're complete ban-happy fascists, if you repeat it enough, it'll probably come true, right?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

demercel wrote:@Gahhhrrrlic: Don't bother. I came here these days after maybe two years without checking what is going on and from all the posts I read i understand, that if are asking in any way about how the project is going you will be considered "idiot" or "troll" (this is logical OR, so the case could be that both are true). Metche is keeping her? voice down, but Jonas is bashing everybody and there are few non-developers, who are insulting everybody who asks about progress or release date. So basically as far as I understand it (I am too lazy to give qutations, but If I am not banned after this post and some of the developers disagree with my picture I will make the effort). You are only allowed to say how great they are and that you are religiously devoted that they are gods, without asking any questions, express any doubts or wanting or bagging for anything. This site is not for people, who want to know what is going with the project, this is a showroom for developers, who want approval and admiration from the fanbase of DX, but not giving anything in return. They justify that with the voluntary, non-payed nature of their work, even explaining, that they may not public their mod after it is finished. So the mod and the site belong to them and they can do whatever they want - banning ppl, calling them trolls and just mildly putting their garddogs, who call every visitor "f***ing idiot" to their place, because garddogs are not masters and should know that. So my advise to you is - do not ask, suggest, or express any qustion, idea or negative feeling (disbelief, impatience, etc ) and just wait or tell them how great they are. Probably they will finish it - after all Metche did the effort to write in another forum back in 2008 that they are already there and the mod will be out soon, so proaably this year or the next, or...
But please do not suggest any way of them keeping you and us informed about heir progress, because at first you will considered idiot, who does not read other similar posts and after you try to defend yourself you will considered troll. Really, just give a look to other posts, some very polite and normal like yours and their responses.
Great post. =D> I've saved it for later. These kind of error riddled and fallacy soaked rambling posts make for great example material in a logic and debate website I'm helping with. The best thing about it is that I think it's probably not a troll post. Given it's length and rambling nature I think it's probably a legitimate emotional outburst.
Anyway one of the best lines is probably this:
demercel wrote: this is a showroom for developers, who want approval and admiration from the fanbase of DX, but not giving anything in return.
Yes, surly "not giving anything in return" is the best way of characterizing the HDTP developers. I mean, what are they doing for the DX community right? Rofl.
Good stuff.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote: And just so you know, it takes a lot to get banned around here.
The fact that I am still around is a testament to this.
SleepyHe4d wrote: Heck, even a, "We didn't do anything this week because we were busy" post would be appreciated.
Yeah, that'd totally work and not bring about the wrath of the fans.

Having said that, I don't think it would be bad if someone wrote a news post for HDTP, but I can't really say we're entitled to anything. They say they are working when they have time, and frankly we should be grateful we get that.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum