Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

UPDATE Your UnrealED...

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Using the Unreal 2 Engine you can use the Unreal Ed version 2.0 to edit Deus Ex's UTX files...

To download a free version of the Unreal Runtime please click the following link:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Files/UE2/Runt ... 2_Demo.exe

Note that if you have any game using Unreal 2 (see list @
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Engine) Then u probably have the editor already on your computer.

The editor is much easier to use than the one in DX, though you'll be firmillar with the interface because it never changed much..

The texture editor is no longer Docked which is a dream come true..

Have fun and post any problems you may have here. (Dx editor is UnrealEd 1.5 so it should be entirely compatible)
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

If you want to use UnrealEd 2.0 then you're best off using the hacked version done by Jim on DXEditing. http://www.dxediting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

My real question is though, will we be able to do the same for Unreal Ed 3?

I think its doubtful with some form of editability to Deus Ex to a point, but very limited. for starters you can count Models right out of the question, but textures i bet will work 100%.

We're gonna have to wait a good year before U3 becomes availible... and evenutally U4. (still in early development)
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

There's really no point in switching, the only benefit from Ued2 is mapping and even then you still need to use Ued1 for movers, placing of objects etc. I use Ued1 because I know everything will be compatible.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

its easier to manage textures in though
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

yeah perhaps if we do level textures it might be useful.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

See :P Well anyway I only figured that out a few days ago, and Boy was i pleased to see everything so neat and tidy.. I love being able to filter
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

The Runtime version actually is better for what I am doing, the textures are instantly loaded on start rather than in the 2.0, the run time is version 2.44 or something so its latest.

Keeping in mind that I am also a level texture artist this is INCREADIBLY helpful to me.

p.s. I have 7/23 textures finished for the AnnaGunther drink machine scene at 256 res. I will work on improving them whilst I work on the HDTP textures which are going to be my highest priority over the Xmas break.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I know Chris uses UEd 2.0 to map for TNM because it has better BSP and lighting calculation. He has to switch to 1.0 when he has to edit a map with our stuff in it though, because our packages aren't UEd 2.0 compatible :(
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I find all this stuff facinating..
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

It's strange, actually: you also sometimes get a map that won't build cleanly in Ued2 no matter what you do. Play with solids/semisolids for HOURS/fiddle with the bsp-sliders and no, still a big invisible death-zone in the middle.

Then you rebuild it in Ued1, and BAM: it works great.
And then you flick through the TNM screenies and realize that whatever you're trying to do has already been done by ZP, only better. :(

Most of the time I'd use Ued2, though. Jonas didn't mention that Ued2 also comes with the capacity for custom brushs (Tarquin's brushbuilder packs...oh my yes), especially for terrain, AND has a far more stable 2D editor, which is lovely.

Also: the raytracing thing is weird. It really does make a difference. I rebuilt liberty island using Ued2 and it looked...wrong. What works as subtle moonlight in the slightly less raytrace-adept Ued1 becomes 'unsubtle lighting with weird shadows' in the more accurate Ued2.

Go figure.