Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Wilsonator
Mole Person

I was just wondering... - Lip sync

Post by Wilsonator »

-will you be fixing the rather dodgy lip synch during the game's cutscenes? It'll help it seem a lot more up to date without those strange mouth animations. =P

EDIT: Mr_Cyberpunk "please be more specific with the subject when posting"
Iki
Thug

Post by Iki »

Probably not without a big rewrite, which I'm not even sure is possible. More likely that it will just play an animation whilst the person is talking.
We will cook you to appease our sexy god!
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

There isn't a single game on this planet apart from metal gear solid 2, 3 and 4 that uses proper lipsync. (there may be others)

but for most of the time, they use a method where you just make them all talk random sayings (usually its a long 20second animation comprising of various words that are common, various expressions as well.)

Therefore a re-write isn't really neccessary. Just good animation.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Re: I was just wondering... - Lip sync

Post by metche_steele »

Wilsonator wrote:-will you be fixing the rather dodgy lip synch during the game's cutscenes? It'll help it seem a lot more up to date without those strange mouth animations. =P
Hi there! I am pleased to tell you the answr is YES. Phasmatis our lead animator has made the mouth movements better than the original. Its no half life 2 as you can imagine as the build of DX puts a lot restraints on things. But its a massive improvement !
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:There isn't a single game on this planet apart from metal gear solid 2, 3 and 4 that uses proper lipsync. (there may be others)
ROFL, I love your phrasing. "THIS IS THE ONLY GAME IN EXISTENCE THAT'S DONE IT RIGHT (except any others that may have...)"

Anyway, ever played Half-Life 2? FEAR? Even Doom 3 IIRC?

Also, I may of course be wrong, but I do believe Deus Ex had actual lip-synch, not just a random mix of various animations, only problem is it didn't work extremely well, and the animations were rather crude (a single frame for each of 4 vowels, as I recall).
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I meant by games that use Motion capture for sync. Doom3, fear and HL2 used hand made (though i could be wrong.. i haven't much of a source on this)

Well anyway, cinematically, MGS has it deadon.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well that's a slightly odd comparison, Deus Ex's animations are ALL hand made, so what does mocap have to do with anything all of a sudden? :-s
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I just stated, its deadon... Which means it is Exact. Because if you push circle (on the PS2 versions) of MGS2 and 3 you'll see a mocap actor. They made the actors act out exactly what scenes the characters would be doing and saying. Thus it is deadon mocap lipsync.

Anyway, its irrelevant. Hand doing it is the best way, and I'm trying to state that we're aiming for Hand made animations that could be done by our tallented animators. I was trying to make it clear, re-writing the code is just not worth it. We can acheive the same result without editing code.
Also, I may of course be wrong, but I do believe Deus Ex had actual lip-synch, not just a random mix of various animations, only problem is it didn't work extremely well, and the animations were rather crude (a single frame for each of 4 vowels, as I recall).
yeah it is in there you are right.. its just really bad! thats why we just need good animators.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Nothing can be done about the lip syncing, I tried putting more than one frame for each letter but it doesn't make a difference, personally I think my animations look a little better but because more of the face can move but it's still limited by DX.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Thanks for looking into it phas.. It sux we can't do anything about it. Ah well..

Unless we feel like coding im affraid it can't be done then.