Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
scottondanet
Mole Person

NPC AI

Post by scottondanet »

Hey guys... girls? Probably not.

Would people be interested in revamping the AI routines for NPCs? In keeping with originality, I suppose it wouldn't feel the same to play, but the AI is pretty poor. That, and it might be nice to have NPCs that don't run into walls and forget they're being attacked.

Anyway, I'm a fairly able programmer, though my AI experience has mainly been neural nets and agent systems, rather than scripts, but I'll give it a bash if its something people are interested.

Ok, that sounded fairly forward, but you get the idea.

Scott
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

I think people would be very interested in seeing something that that come about. The AI *is* slightly low on the IQ scale.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I've also been told many many times that the AI is horribly coded, so I'm sure it has plenty of good opportunities for improvement.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

If you could just stop them immediatly strafing when they start attacking, that would be the greatest.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

There are MANY things that could stand change in them AI. I'ld fully support this indevour, as it's an improvement on the origional intention.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

I'd opt for a complete rework if you're hoping for a major improvement. Just dump all the old code and start afresh. (though this is not entirely possible due to the need to implement existing pawn functionality)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Whats the point, DX:Reborn is already planing to work on the AI anyway. They've already stated plans to do so once the engine works.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

This is true, blueneptune is currently working on the AI (among other things) for DXR, however, we welcome any help we can get, especially on the programming front.