Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Sargasm
Mole Person

A request

Post by Sargasm »

Hello. I've been following the progress of this mod for some time now and I must say I am nothing but impressed with what I have seen. Based on this, it is evident that the HDTP is the entity best able to help me out.

Perhaps you are familiar with Alginon's Impossible Mission project that he has since completed and is now in the process of recording with Fraps. To make a long story short, we have both become enamored with the Small Crate in Deus Ex and wish to make one in real life.

However, short of actually learning metallurgy and welding, the best way to do this that we can think of would be to print out a high-resolution version of the crate texture and glue the various sides it onto a cube, making a small crate. You can read the topic about it here.

You can probably see where I'm going with this - neither of us can create the necessary high-resolution image and the person we originally asked to make the texture did not come through. Is there any way you nice folks at the HDTP can help us out? It would be much appreciated.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

This doesn't sound hard... The question is, should we release a texture from the mod before it goes public?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I don't see why not - it's one texture, it's not as if it's the whole mod.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

However, releasing one texture would make other people ask: 'could you release texture x? you released the small crate texture! Why not this one?'

But I wouldn't mind ofcourse ;)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You need to realize that releasing the HDTP texture for the small metal crate would not do the trick. Your texture would be, what? 256x256 under normal circumstances, maybe 512x512 if you design it for the OpenGL renderer?

Say Sargasm/Alginon need the textures for a crate with sides of 30 cm? (which is a bit on the smallish side) and a resolution of 300 DPI to make for good print quality, that would make each side 3543x3543 pixels large. Consider the fact that there are four side in the texture, you'll need to create the texture in 7086x7086 pixels.

That's a lot of detail :o
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Slap an overlay metal texture and it would probably add a lot of that 'detail'.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Certainly, I'm not saying it can't be done, just that you need to put some planning into it. It needs to look crisp in at least 7086x7086 pixels, quite possibly more :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Sargasm
Mole Person

Post by Sargasm »

Thanks for the replies so far. I am glad to hear at least that this sort of thing is indeed possible. Of course I also totally understand if you guys aren't comfortable with releasing individual textures before the entire project is finished and released (which I am also looking forward to). And yeah, it would be pretty big - Alginon is aiming to make a life-size crate, and possibly put it in doorways and such to keep people out, or throw it on their heads, etc.
MAYONNAISE ON EVERYTHING