Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Original

Post by Solid_Choke »

I think above all we should strive for a model and texture as close to the original as possible, and make it look more realistic as a secondary goal.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

Yes, that's basically what's happening. There were some heated debates about originality vs coolness/realistic, but it's always original first.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I thought so too. If there is any discussion in the closed part of the forums, let it be known: original is cooler than coolness.

:D
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Personally, I think realism does become more important in most games. Deus Ex is somewhat special since it's a work of fiction rather than a technology demo that one just walks through, but realism is important too. If only we could know what reality would be like in 2052 ;-)

So yeah, stick with the way things are in the game, until we're all old enough to see how it should have been :-). In the end, improving the textures etc is actually about making it appear more real anyway. People in 2052 could have had heads with flattened bits, pointy parts, and one set of teeth; but we know those represent real people as they are today, where uniforms, guns, and technology are going to change over time. Gotta stick to what the game says uniforms, guns, and body modifacations will be like.
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

The reality of Deux Ex is divergent from our own at the moment and I'm sure it will still be quite different in 2025. I always think of the project as a restoration and an update, so we try and stay true to what we think the developers might have done or wanted to do if they had better system specs to work with.

Once we release a compiled version for everyone to play with, we shall be more easily able to see inconsistencies and thus evaluate the work we've done so far. It will give the community more opportunity to comment upon the work the team do. I look forward to the public release.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Thanks, I was still worried that "Once its done, its done". That Manderly would have a bowler hat, and I'd have to live with it ;-)

I look forward to the release as well (obviously, just another fan). A lot of people are in exams, though the first phase is finished.

Is the reality truly divergent? ISTR there was a timeline somewhere (newspaper?) that had events closer to the modern time that could be falsified, but the current events seem to match up somewhat. No towers in new york (they don't appear in the skyline), the French are having difficulties (though they're not yet with revolutionaries), terrorism became the focus of a nation, and superstates are already in vogue. Technology is somewhat predictable as it evolves, but a large number of gradual advances in technology can lead to something unimagined, so the technology in DX will look wrong. All that's a tangent if there's nothing else to reply to ;-)
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

You forgot to mention that FEMA has been in the spotlight a lot recently too 8) .

-Gelo/Moonbo
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I'll read that as "Tangent Accepted" ;-)

Perhaps did Deus Ex semi-anticipate "Homeland Security" (In the US, they have home land. In Canada, there's home and native land), but all in the way of martial law we've seen is the militarization of the Mexican border. I suppose one could say that the arrests in peaceful protests is similar to a suspension of rights. Anyway, I suppose TIA (or whatever it's current acronym) is moving close to the Datalus prototype idea- a database with information about every american citizen, plus.

One could say the pandemic before the grey death being H5N1/Avian flu, or that the European Union is somehow mentioned, but those were old news at the time anyway.

No nanobots to report on. I just want the universal constructor.
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

justanotherfan wrote:I'll read that as "Tangent Accepted" ;-)

Perhaps did Deus Ex semi-anticipate "Homeland Security" (In the US, they have home land. In Canada, there's home and native land), but all in the way of martial law we've seen is the militarization of the Mexican border. I suppose one could say that the arrests in peaceful protests is similar to a suspension of rights. Anyway, I suppose TIA (or whatever it's current acronym) is moving close to the Datalus prototype idea- a database with information about every american citizen, plus.

One could say the pandemic before the grey death being H5N1/Avian flu, or that the European Union is somehow mentioned, but those were old news at the time anyway.

No nanobots to report on. I just want the universal constructor.
The Armies SWORDS robot:
Scanning Area!...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That thing looks way too easy to destroy. Like it's wearing its vital organs on its skin.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

Jonas wrote:That thing looks way too easy to destroy. Like it's wearing its vital organs on its skin.
Its just a beta version. I'm sure the final production models will have more advanced defenses and armor.