Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Dave McCool
Thug

Sniper/ Weapon HUD

Post by Dave McCool »

I have a few questions reguarding the Scope HUD for guns. First, the HUD seems to move alot which can be a bugger. Could you fix that?

Second add a feature for night vision mode? Make it the Infrared like the Vision Aug...
"Go ahead, rake my hay!"
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

I do not think we are doing any GAMEPLAY changes. Only graphical.
There is a reason why people want to make the graphics better...to give the gameplay what it deserves, more player appeal.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

First, the HUD seems to move alot which can be a bugger. Could you fix that?
Its actually suppose to work that way, see the way the game is designed is so that you act pretty hopeless at the start of the game, almost like being a rookie. Towards the end of the game hopefully you've upgraded ur sniper skill and rifle to the point where it WONT MOVE AN INCH! The idea is to compensate for JC's crappy sniper skills. - or so i've come to think.
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

I say all gameplay features are there for a reason. Making a minor change to something so good would be just as bad as changing the pistol into a giantsized rocket launcher that shoot out 15-20 rockets at a time.

Or better yet, let's change all the weapons! Let's make a poop gun. it will look like someone ripped a toilet out of the ground (pipe still attached on the bottom - barrel of the gun) and they put the seat part where the butt of a gun would go, the lid on their shoulder and the trigger is the flusher!

AND to reload the camera goes to 3rd person view and you see JC sit on the toilet. DONE!
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Yup, that would be awesome.

Code: Select all

if(damagetype == 'faeces' && !pawn(damagee).isinState('Disgusted'))
   pawn(damagee).GotoState('Disgusted');

But yes, more seriously, the scope wobble is one of DX's fairly unique features: you literally get better at aiming as your rifle skill improves. That's the POINT.

As for nightvision/infrared, why would you bother getting the visionaug if you could just use the rifle all the time?
XIRQ
Thug

Post by XIRQ »

ThalesA7X wrote:I say all gameplay features are there for a reason. Making a minor change to something so good would be just as bad as changing the pistol into a giantsized rocket launcher that shoot out 15-20 rockets at a time.

Or better yet, let's change all the weapons! Let's make a poop gun. it will look like someone ripped a toilet out of the ground (pipe still attached on the bottom - barrel of the gun) and they put the seat part where the butt of a gun would go, the lid on their shoulder and the trigger is the flusher!

AND to reload the camera goes to 3rd person view and you see JC sit on the toilet. DONE!
Great description of specs, although we still need to discuss the color of lid, is the tippler toilet or 'long drop'?
Also, I think the seat should be cushioned, for that gun would have a huge recoil. :shock:
Almost forgot, stop the aiming reticules from moving so much ? ;)
?Excuse my English, I am just an ignorant European?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Guys seriously, now ur just mocking. Back on the subject though, night vision would make sense for the rifle given most modern rifles feature that function, I think the Vision Aug should have been more uniquely useful same for all the other augs, given that most of them have the same effects as other objects in the game. It is 100% possible to finnish the game on Realistic mode without any additional augs (i mean without using Augs apart from the default ones) I've done it with only using a pistol for the entire game, and a second time using the Baton and Prod.

I just today also discovered that Lockpicks are useless... Whoop out the sniper rifle as it can destroy ANYTHING in the game (turrents, alarms, doors, but not steel crates)

There's a lot of contradicting tech in Deus Ex, this is due to the simplistic nature of the game. I think more work was needed on Deus Ex's Ruleset personally. Well thats just what i think.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:I just today also discovered that Lockpicks are useless... Whoop out the sniper rifle as it can destroy ANYTHING in the game (turrents, alarms, doors, but not steel crates).
Need to get it to master, though. Plus it sends out a loudnoise when the door breaks, so any pawns on the other side will be alerted.

You might as well GEP the fucker. :D

Thing is, you CAN give yourself a nightvision sniper by using techgoggles and the rifle, or AugVision and the rifle.

While I'd agree that DX isn't perfectly balanced, I think HDTP should maintain what balance is there, rather than attempting to shift it at all.

And concentrate of graphics, obv.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

of course. We're just making the unbalancing LOOK BETTER!
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

Aww, I'm not mocking anyone. I seriously want to make a gun like that. I might do it for ut2k4 and show you all the leet screenies.
Wouldn't even need much coding to do it. Change the color of the biogun fire to brown instead of green...change the model..would be sweeeet!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:There's a lot of contradicting tech in Deus Ex, this is due to the simplistic nature of the game.
Personally, I think it's the opposite. I think they just crammed as much crap into the game as they could possibly think of, regardless of whether or not some of it would overlap. No matter what you do, you will always be able to complete the game. Which is good, because think about it: Would you like to get stuck in Paris because you didn't take the speed enhancement aug?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I don't need to be a sniper at master level to hit people with it. It's just a lot harder, which makes it fun :)

Better graphics would aid my shooting because I can actually see what I'm shooting at :D
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

EER wrote:I don't need to be a sniper at master level to hit people with it. It's just a lot harder, which makes it fun :)

Better graphics would aid my shooting because I can actually see what I'm shooting at :D
YEA! like where they are a bit far away and the pixels blend with the stuff behind them...suuuucks!

Ask Mr_Cyberpunk how much I like the sniper. We were playing dxmp one night and Master_Kale was watching me totally PWN him with the sniper. Headshot after headshot. I didn't die until these noobs joined and I didn't know they were in the server until they killed me. Was fun fun fun.

Which brings up the idea that we should have like a scheduled night for some hdtp/tnm multiplayer matches! I could even setup a server for us! :D
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Man, I'm gonna have to call in ZeroPresence to save our honour then, I suck at MP. Any kind of MP.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

Jonas wrote:Man, I'm gonna have to call in ZeroPresence to save our honour then, I suck at MP. Any kind of MP.
3vs1(me) go go go