Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
beejamin
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by beejamin »

Thanks again guys,

Sadly, the graf has got to go - only because the same texture is used on the front and back. Repeating 'tags' on lots of mailboxes might be believable, but two identical ones on each box? That might be pushing it.

I like the shiny version too Ajare - mind telling us how you acheived it? I've got to make a slight change because I missed something when working on the lettering (they're different opacities - poo) - that way I can apply the shine effect to the original file.

Cheers!

Beej
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

If you're using Photoshp, couldn't you add some lighting effects to certain layers? That'll probably work. Works when I make textures for thing.
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

It was a bit of a hack based on the fact that the bolts were already slightly brighter. Just duplicate the layer, desaturate it, set it to linear dodge (or something similar, can't remember), then play about with the levels, and blacken everything else on the layer except for the bolts, or any other parts you want shiny - anything with a soft edge.
beejamin
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by beejamin »

Sweet - thanks mate!
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

ZylonBane wrote:
justanotherfan wrote:The shine is interesting, very camera-obscura on the bolts.
Ummm... what? A camera obscura is a device used for drawing by projecting a scene through a pinhole. How can any image be "very" that?
Look at a detailed drawing or painting that used camera obscura. It can be just an artsy way of saying "the highlights are blown" in a certain way. Things can appear "sparkly", with effects from the light distortion and lenses etc. Google images is being spectacularly useless here, but you might have to see it in person anyway.

On second thought, the graf does have to go. Good point beejamin. Unless it gets really subtle, it'll be easy to spot on two sides of the same box. Perhaps the original was so generic because of this.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

It's certainly possible to use a unique texture for each side of the mailbox. This would require remapping the model though.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
beejamin
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by beejamin »

Hmm - I dunno. The UV map is pretty well packed - you have to reduce the res of each panel or use two texture maps to include all four sides. I reckon duping two panels is worth the tradeoff.
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

How many mailboxes are there? Maybe we could do different graffiti for each one, and choose the texture randomly, like the couches.

I'm still voting against graffiti on the 'no unecessary deviations from the original' principle though.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

beejamin wrote:Hmm - I dunno. The UV map is pretty well packed - you have to reduce the res of each panel or use two texture maps to include all four sides.
Yes, the latter. Upgrade to two texture maps. No technical reason to eschew that sort of thing, in this day and age.

The multiple random texture maps sounds like a fun idea too, if someone has enough free time to implement it. That technique could be applied to a lot of objects to reduce repetition.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

It's not worth making the 2 sides seperate in my opinion. It looks great as it is.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Agreed - leave as is - remove the graphiti and just brighten up the bolts :)

Cheers!
M.
beejamin
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by beejamin »

Doneski!

finished version is in the UM.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

* applauds

Great texture :)

Time to move on to the next, looking forward to it :D
Fred
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Fred »

looks very nice :!: 8)
I thougt I saw somebody. Maybe just a homeless guy.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

The only suggestion I'd have at this point is that the bump pattern be toned wayyy down, or replaced entirely. It's not very realistic.