Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

metche_steele wrote:
Jonas wrote:Didn't CP upload three different versions of the baton texture? I distinctly remember that one of them was very dark.

As for Gunther, I have a proposition. Clearly, it is impossible to remake the DX characters by adding detail without making them look different. This is largely because most discerning characteristics between the characters were added by the texture, since all of them were sharing about 10 or so models.

So how about you just include a seperate HDTP download that doesn't change the characters at all? That way, people who dislike the updated characters can just install the mod without them! Voila, everybody's happy.
Yep, we did talk about (for the final installer version), sticking in a checkbox that gives the user the option to install certain features, or not.
Quite easy to do, actually. We can definitely have that in the next release:)
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

Finally got to check this out. Looks really good, well done guys! There are issues with some (mostly lighting-related), but they've already been mentioned.

If only Unreal had drop&replace modding, not this complex class-based stuff.
Yixian
Thug

Post by Yixian »

metche_steele wrote:JC - You know I love DX. I'd like to actually develop my career and perhaps get married you know? I think doing EVERY texture in the game would ensure we'd be working on this mod until were 90+ years!!!! So in short ...no lol.
I'm so tempted to just nick a load from Deus Ex 2 ir something. Is that even possible? I can't imagine how awesome DX would look with high res textures for walls and floors etc.

Oh and how about the background photos? Gonna replace them? Shouldn't be too hard, and there can't be that many.

[/amateur ignorance]
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Yixian wrote:
metche_steele wrote:JC - You know I love DX. I'd like to actually develop my career and perhaps get married you know? I think doing EVERY texture in the game would ensure we'd be working on this mod until were 90+ years!!!! So in short ...no lol.
I'm so tempted to just nick a load from Deus Ex 2 ir something. Is that even possible? I can't imagine how awesome DX would look with high res textures for walls and floors etc.

Oh and how about the background photos? Gonna replace them? Shouldn't be too hard, and there can't be that many.

[/amateur ignorance]

I shouldnt really say this but weve agreed to at least hav a go at terrain textures (not level texture!), so stuff like gravel, dirt, grass etc. See how we go :)

Replacing background photos would be hard - where do we get exact copies in their original hi-res format? lol.

Thanks for your questions man :D
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

Remind me how this works in DX. If you drop in a world texture that's higher-res than the original, does it just automatically have the desired effect?

In the Dark Engine, trying this only results in a texture that appears larger. You have to manually adjust the texture scale in the level data to make it appear higher-res.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

DDL wrote:... there should be a 'drawscale' property somewhere in the texture properties: this should reflect the difference in texture dimensions, so if your new texture is 256x256 and the old one was 64x64, put 0.25 here.
I think you are pretty much right ZB.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Also, yixian: the DX2 textures had an alpha bumpmap type thing, to give them more 'depth' and shadowing, none of which would work with DX, as the engine doesn't support bump map type stuff (yes, that is the technical term, honest).

So they'd look a bit..flat.
JC
NSF

Post by JC »

metche_steele wrote:
JC wrote:Is it really out of the question to redo every texture in the game?
JC - You know I love DX. I'd like to actually develop my career and perhaps get married you know? I think doing EVERY texture in the game would ensure we'd be working on this mod until were 90+ years!!!! So in short ...no lol.
;) I guess.
JC
NSF

Post by JC »

Yixian wrote:
DO EEET!
James T
UNATCO

Post by James T »

...By the way, the liquor bottles look like they're full of pumpkin soup -- solid orange doesn't work so well!
"If all Americans want is security, they can go to prison." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Mak Denton
NSF

Post by Mak Denton »

...But the wine bottles look more accurate. Trust my "French" experience!
James T
UNATCO

Post by James T »

Indeed -- apart from them obviously being the size of Sandra Renton's entire upper body when she's sitting at a table in the Underworld Bar, but that's the fault of the original ;)
"If all Americans want is security, they can go to prison." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Zandor
Thug

Post by Zandor »

When I saw the screenshots I thought HDTP was going to be teh sux but then I played and found that it's not quite like that but it's not perfect either. It almost looks like what Deus EX should look like! The vending machines are awesome! Same for the ATM and telephones.

But my very critical thoughts are:

- The water in the water cooler looked better in the original model.
- The crates look all messed up from the distance (something to do with Z-Buffer) and under lighting they look weird also
- Gunther is all stiff!
- The plant in the orange vase plant looks so much more bright than the rest.

I think that's all.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You'll be partially pleased to know your second and last points of critique have already be addressed and will be fixed in the next release.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

A few errors and a suggestion

Post by Y|yukichigai »

I've been going through the HDTP DeusEx.u file in order to incorporate the new textures into Shifter, and I came across a few things.

Several textures are not being used, despite the fact that the What's Included file says they are. I've not made it through the list completely yet, but I know that BoneFemur and BoneSkull are still using the original DeusExDeco meshes, and there are probably others. The textures are included when I load up HDTPDeco in UnrealEd, but I'm not sure about the meshes. I'm not sure if the meshes are missing from the release and the omission was intentional, but if it was an accidental omission you should be aware that it exists.

As far as my suggestion, this is more of a modeling thing than anything else. The "shine" (reflection) layer on the baton looks nice, and I would wholeheartedly encourage adding such layers to any other shiny, metallic weapons in the game.