Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Dominic_Denton
UNATCO

HDTP Release #1 Troubleshooting Thread

Post by Dominic_Denton »

I had the problem with the CD path, so I erased those lines. But now I'm missing something, the warning says:

Can't find file for package 'Effects'

What the-?
I've left the board.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Easiest thing to do is reinstall DX, then install HDTP.

Mind posting your HDTP.ini and DeusEx.ini so I can have a look? I'm trying to get all the installer bugs worked out.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

I can't get it to run.
My Specs:
Athlon XP 2100+
768MB 333MHz DDR RAM
nVidia GeForce 6800 GT
Windows XP Pro SP2
Dues Ex GOTY

When I try installing it it says that the directory is wrong but I installed the game in the default location on drive C. It crashes when I try starting a new game right after you choose your stats for the first time and it tries to load Liberty Island. It works fine without crashing when I uninstall HDTP again. I have the latest nVidia drivers aswell. I tried it using the updated Deus Ex Open GL renderer as well as Direct3D to no avail.

Has anyone else gotten GOTY Edition to work?
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

yeah GOTY works.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I'm using the GOTY version and it works fine.
Dominic_Denton
UNATCO

Post by Dominic_Denton »

Trestkon wrote:Easiest thing to do is reinstall DX, then install HDTP.

Mind posting your HDTP.ini and DeusEx.ini so I can have a look? I'm trying to get all the installer bugs worked out.
I would if I knew how.
I've left the board.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

If the game can't play right without the CD, you probably didn't install all of the game's data, choosing a compact install and leaving some things to be loaded off the CD. Obviously now, without the CD, you're boned. =D
As for posting your .ini files, they're text files. Copy txt, paste txt. Get it?
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Dominic_Denton wrote:
Trestkon wrote:Easiest thing to do is reinstall DX, then install HDTP.

I would if I knew how.
They're in your DeusEx\System directory. Just copy and paste them here (hopefully the forum allows a post that large...)
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Solid_Choke wrote:I can't get it to run.

When I try installing it it says that the directory is wrong but I installed the game in the default location on drive C. It crashes when I try starting a new game right after you choose your stats for the first time and it tries to load Liberty Island. It works fine without crashing when I uninstall HDTP again. I have the latest nVidia drivers aswell. I tried it using the updated Deus Ex Open GL renderer as well as Direct3D to no avail.

Has anyone else gotten GOTY Edition to work?
GOTY should work fine, so that's probably not the problem. What exactly does the installer say when you try to install it? And you installed DX normally on your drive? You don't have a crazy remote network drive or something, do you? (You probably don't...but I have to be sure:p)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I'm having trouble. I install a clean Deus Ex GOTY to the HD in the default c:\deusex, and then launch it, select DirectX, and start up the training level. Then I close it without changing any settings, and install HDTP, which starts off saying the install directory cannot be found though it installs to c:/deusex. Using the new HDTP link on the desktop, I launch Deus Ex, and then open up a new game. Once it gets ready to show the level, it crashes with a "General Protection Fault".

I've tried this a few times, with the OpenGL renderer, changing settings, Deus Ex "Safe Mode", and of course turning off all driver video-enhancements. AMD, GeForce 7600GT, Windows 2003 R2, no antivirus, up-to-date non-beta drivers. Nothing else is currently unstable or acting oddly. Restarting does not help.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

By "GOTY", do you mean the 1.112fm patch? You'll need the multiplayer patch to run HDTP as far as I know.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

justanotherfan wrote:I'm having trouble. I install a clean Deus Ex GOTY to the HD in the default c:\deusex, and then launch it, select DirectX, and start up the training level. Then I close it without changing any settings, and install HDTP, which starts off saying the install directory cannot be found though it installs to c:/deusex. Using the new HDTP link on the desktop, I launch Deus Ex, and then open up a new game. Once it gets ready to show the level, it crashes with a "General Protection Fault".

I've tried this a few times, with the OpenGL renderer, changing settings, Deus Ex "Safe Mode", and of course turning off all driver video-enhancements. AMD, GeForce 7600GT, Windows 2003 R2, no antivirus, up-to-date non-beta drivers. Nothing else is currently unstable or acting oddly. Restarting does not help.
This is my same exact problem but explained in much more detail.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Yup, you'll need it fully patched up to the multiplayer version, since it's essentially a copy of my installation, which is fully patched.

As for reinstalling DX and then HDTP: run DX first before installing HDTP, as running the game for the first time creates file information HDTP needs for proper function, apparently. :)
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jonas wrote:By "GOTY", do you mean the 1.112fm patch? You'll need the multiplayer patch to run HDTP as far as I know.
Yep, the goty edition is the full 1.112fm version. It comes fully patched out the box. \o/
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

AFAIK too, GOTY is the "latest" version of Deus Ex.

Solid_Choke, thanks for confirming it. The only variable I had was Windows 2003 since few people know of it, and you have the same problem with XP SP2. That also eliminates the CPU type and motherboard/chipset issues since we're using very different AMD setups. Perhaps its a nVidia+HDTP issue? The only windows utility I have that plays in the system would be Unlocker and Daemon Tools, DT not being used or running for this.

We can post error dialog screenshots if that helps. Event Viewer has no relevant entries.