Updating Music with Remixed PS2 Version Music?

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Colej_uk
Mole Person

Updating Music with Remixed PS2 Version Music?

Post by Colej_uk »

Do you think it would be possible? The PS2 version's music stays very true to the original, but the music has been generally improved- like a musical version of what you're doing with the graphics.

Now, I'm thinking that perhaps it would be pretty hard to do since the U engine only has umx (module music) files... The only way I could think would be to have the entire song as a wav instrument- but that would take up a stupid amount of space.

But yeah, something to think about perhaps.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Using higher quality music wouldn't be a problem as there is an OGG player for DX. However there would probably be some copyright issues with using the music from the PS2 version.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

If only Eidos weren't so touchy on 'copyright infringement'.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

-Life does not snap to the x-axis
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Trestkon wrote:I believe this may be of interest to you.
Nice!
OTP is linked as a dead site :shock: http://www.tzang.com/hdmusic/links.html
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well, it sort of is, but he could at least link the TNM site too...
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

*goes to slap Slicer upside the head*
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

The demo, linked at the bottom here, sounds like some old 2.1 Altec Landsing computer speakers I had that had the ps/2-style audio plug damaged. It sounds better as music, but there's a lot more echo/reverb. Listening to the original for quality, I can see why musicians would dislike it for the low sampling quality, but videogame soundtracks are different from regular music. I still listen to the original Super Mario theme once in a while ;-)

fender2k1 of the DX:R project was working on converting the music to OGG for UT2004. He wasn't going to change instruments, just remastering the songs that hadn't been mastered, though who knows since that project is on hiatus.

Maybe I'm partial though, "The Synapse (Hong Kong Streets)" is probably my favourite track from all of DX (though the UNATCO theme, the New York streets tracks, and the DuClaire Chateau are maybe tied)

http://www.tzang.com/hdmusic/downloads.html
Colej_uk
Mole Person

Post by Colej_uk »

Cool link, I hope that project works out. It would go hand in hand with HDTP.

also found this though;
Unfortunately, Deus Ex uses tracking music to play music. It is possible to implement OGG, which will reduce file size by a huge amount, however, each and every map from Deus Ex is hardcoded with the music filename. Converting to OGG would mean re-editing and re-releasing the Deus Ex maps (290Mb).
So replacing the mods with the ps2 .ogg music would be pretty much out of the question, even without the copyright problems.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Not really, it'd just be a big download.

Big download != impossible.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

If Eidos wouldn't make a fuss about using the ps2 music, I think they would if you would practically offer DX itself (all maps) for download ;)

I know I would, if I were Eidos.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It's not like you can actually open all those maps without owning the game. You'll need all the data and texture files.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Any dynamic music (so..all of it) is dependent on the playerclass for playing, anyway, so it's not actually too hard to simply modify deusexplayer to include

Code: Select all

function updatedynamicmusic()
{
}
and then do it via ogg, but right now? ....fuck that.
Colej_uk
Mole Person

Post by Colej_uk »

Eidos owe you guys for breathing new life into the game!
tzang
Thug

Post by tzang »

Trestio owes me a cookie for making me come here! Answers to a few questions:

Eidos copyright thingabob
This is still uncertain. The original plan was to get the tracks remade by Alex Brandon himself. From what I recall, talks started but broke down a few weeks later... what Eidos said will never be known although I'm also uncertain as to whether Alex himself will be penalised for remastering his own music and releasing it. I'm no expert on the copyright laws so I won't know.

Massive files
There are two ways to approach remaking the DX music (ignoring the ogg path):
1) Replace all samples with high quality samples (and adding additional effects to spicen things up)
2) Recompose the music using a music creation program and chop up the music into sections before importing it as wave samples into tracker

The first method is easiest but if you want to use better sounding samples that lasts longer than the original samples, you may find the new samples cut out too early due to the way the tracks are composed. The files will also be small, around 10Mb at most.

The second method sounds best but you will be looking at files that can go over 50Mb per track as you need to consider death, convo, action, etc... music.

The OTP link
I know I put *dead site* on my web-site, I'll need to get that changed as I wrote that entire site in about 10 minutes or so (you will find that site is broken in IE6 :lol: ). I will get that changed when my new notebook arrives (Dell estimates 4th December).

More content added soon.

Progress
I should have Paris Chateau done soon... schedule dependent (due to work & university). The main music in Hong Kong is simply Alex's remastered version, there have been a few things added/modified on my final version, which I will update on the downloads section.

BTW, great job on HDTP, keep it up!
tzang productions - For all your IT support needs

Project HD Music - High Quality music for Deus Ex
(just realised my host wiped out the content along with TNM mirrors, will restore later)