Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
StarWrecker
Mole Person

I have an idea.

Post by StarWrecker »

This would only really pertain to mirrors, but would it be possible to make the effects of your augs visible to yourself, like:

when cloak is on, you're invisible (I don't know if this already happens, never tries)
You will be seen with the suits on, like the hazmat, etc.

Can this be done, or is this a pipe dream?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

when cloak is on, you're invisible (I don't know if this already happens, never tries)
I think it already does.
You will be seen with the suits on, like the hazmat, etc.
This is possible, but I think the hazmat is just dumb all together. I mean they are very big bulky suits. Also, there isn't any 3rd person camera, so the modeling would be a waste as it'd never get seen in 1st person. Not to mention that the Hazmat is made redundant by the absorb Augmentation.

basically items in the game work as a switch, so while its possible to make models turn on and off, it'd just be pointless to do so when you'll probably never see it 100% of the time.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I think it would be entertaining, however, to throw a filter over the playing viewpoint when using the hazard suit, the same way binoculars and sniper scopes do. You could just have a 2d texture of the mask appear in front of JC's head, visible only from the front, so it wouldn't obscure his vision (anymore than the goggle shape over the screen), but be visible in mirrors.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:
I think it already does.
I actually tested this once. It doesn't. Not in stock DX anyway.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I can do this, though. Or rather, I already have, for my own stuff, so I can port it over fairly easily. If metche deems it acceptable.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

DDL wrote:I can do this, though. Or rather, I already have, for my own stuff, so I can port it over fairly easily. If metche deems it acceptable.
This is very interesting!

DDL - what kinda things have you implemented in this manner?
DDL

Post by DDL »

There's a function called every tick() which basically updates 'translucency': it's entirely for multiplayer (to make people in the dark more see-through), but it's called every tick in singleplayer too.

I just put in a check for active augs, and make the player translucent and textured with the whitestatic tex if cloak is on.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

DDL wrote:There's a function called every tick() which basically updates 'translucency': it's entirely for multiplayer (to make people in the dark more see-through), but it's called every tick in singleplayer too.

I just put in a check for active augs, and make the player translucent and textured with the whitestatic tex if cloak is on.
Im really interesting in this actually because its a really nice addition without major changes :)

I think we should roll with this ^_^.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:This is possible, but I think the hazmat is just dumb all together. I mean they are very big bulky suits. Not to mention that the Hazmat is made redundant by the absorb Augmentation.
It seems like an early design idea that they added in, but forgot about. They probably thought of areas that could hurt you, then thought a hazmat suit would be really cool, and that an augmentation could end the need for bothering the player with it eventually. Of course, I can only offhand think of two areas it was included in the game - the training level and the first level. A few games seem to bother to train the player into using things they'll never see or need in-game.

Sorry about being off-topic a bit, but I found that interesting.
DDL

Post by DDL »

There were quite a few hazmat suits dotted around the place, actually. They come in fairly handy in paris, too.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

That's assuming you were actually stupid enough to get Aqua Lung lol another useless device in the world of Deus Ex.

(given that you can pretty much finish the game without even landing in water deep enough that you'd actually need this device - and even then, you have Breathers which are just as stupid) There are a lot of stupid devices in this game aren't they... but I guess that explains the need for nano-augmentations.