Assault Rifle Design (Poll disappeared!)

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.

Original or other?

Original?
76%
Alex's concept?
12%
Real weapon?
12%

Total votes: 17
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by _Alex_ »

DDL wrote:I still don't see why we don't follow jonas's idea (damn compromising danes): make both. I'll import them into separate packages, and we'll let users decide which one they want to install?
a. Because you're not the guy that's gonna have to model / texture / rig both versions.

b. Because it shows people that we haven't a clue what we're doing with this mod.

c. Because this issue is gonna crop up in the future, with other weapons, and making duals of everything is not a good habit to get into.

d. I dont think anyone on the art team actually WANTS to attempt to exactly re-make the original. It doesnt inspire anyone.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Hahah: I'm not lecturing on style, I'm simply saying: it's the original. We should stick to the original.

Style only comes into play when the source material isn't there: for this, there's a ton of source material.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

The Alex hybrid is pretty close:

However, as I think has become clear earlier in this thread, it's not really about the assault rifle anymore. But more "Stay true to the original" versus "Make our own version of the original idea".

And when it comes down to that, I prefer the 'stay true to the original'.
_Alex_ wrote:Impossible. The model is an expression of a concept - in 3D. You cannot adress the model without adressing the concept simultaneously.
I disagree, it has been shown earlier on in the mod, for example the barrels, that it is very much possible to address the expression itself, instead of the concept. That you don't like it, is a different story, I can't influence how you feel.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Oh god, where is Metche when you need her, eh?

Incidentally, Alex: which other weapons do you think need to be remade?
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Lets leave it until Metche is back so she can have the final say.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
giantzucchini
Thug

Post by giantzucchini »

Just my humble opinion. One of the reasons why I think we should at least stick to the basic design of the original is so that when ppl dl the HDTP pack, they can look at the AR and recognise it as the AR. I would think that it would be quite useless using a fantastic looking/real/etc. gun and the guy doesn't pick it up bcoz he's looking for an AR but he can't recognise it as an AR. Well, just my 2 cents worth...
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

As if that would happen anyway. If I were a n00b, i'd still pick it up to test how it worked. And besides, the enemy will still use the rifle anyway.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

_Alex_ wrote:Because you're not the guy that's gonna have to model / texture / rig both versions.
As far as I know, neither are you. Didn't Darkshade and Phasmatis model the other weapons? And I don't think you or Cyberpunk skinned them either. And I'm also pretty sure Phas did all the animation work. Correct me if I'm wrong.
_Alex_ wrote:I dont think anyone on the art team actually WANTS to attempt to exactly re-make the original. It doesnt inspire anyone.
I would like to ask Darkshade or Phasmatis that question.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Actually I was suppose to texture them but my life got somewhat Fucked up back around June. It's only now settled down.

DarkShade did do some of the other weapons, unfortunately he got a few of them wrong, in which me and snipe were considering fixing up. (we'd already started on the EMP grenade before this argument started up)

Don't take this out on Alex just because he's new Jonas. And last of all, I recall Admins weren't meant to get involved in Arguments, rather stop them.
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

_Alex_ wrote:I dont think anyone on the art team actually WANTS to attempt to exactly re-make the original. It doesnt inspire anyone.
Hmm, alright. I am totally uninspired by it. I am horrible at modeling non-organics but I will surely give it a go. After all, I did join the team as a modeler. I just haven't had a lot of time to do anything recently.
For this though, I think I could work it into my schedule.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

are you sure u should thales? cause I mean the next 2-3 weeks at ModDB are going to be pretty big. What with HDTP being in the top100 mods of the year. You should stick there in-case anyone has questions. We could use the PR :D But hey, if you're that bored then go for your life.
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

I find it funny that your sarcasm failed. I have a busy schedule, believe it or not. School, work, and taking care of 2 little girls gets tiring. I haven't had time enough to do anything worth a piss.

Now, which one of you gentlemen are available and could take the DX model, put the texture on it, and send it to me? All I have on my current computer is the model, which is all RGB textures. I will need the texture if I am going to model anything off of the original.

I might not be able to even get started for a day or two, but it isn't like the entire release of HDTP will be waiting on me to model a simple gun.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Don't take this out on Alex just because he's new Jonas. And last of all, I recall Admins weren't meant to get involved in Arguments, rather stop them.
I'm not taking this out on Alex because he's new, I'm taking it out on you, Alex, and Snipamasta because you're all arguing like a bunch of fundamentalists, because I basically disagree with your arguments, and because this is the most pointlessly unresolvable and frustrating discussion I've ever participated in.

And fuck what admins are meant to do, I love HDTP and I care deeply for how it turns out and how popular it gets. I sincerely believe that straying too far from the originals will hurt the popularity of the mod, even if your models turn out better than the originals. The fact that about 90% of the critique your work has received is based on differences between your models and the originals should be enough to support that prediction.

Don't tell me to stay out of a discussion like this, it's much too frustrating to just observe. Leave the objectivity to Trestkon.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Testing error message, please ignore.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I'm staying out of this discussion until metche gets here, we'll discuss the matter in private.