It's done.

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: It's done.

Post by DaveW »

Morpheus wrote:Great work, thank you DaveW for all your hard work :D Also, I had one of those cakes yesterday, haha!

Edit: Hate to rain on the "It's Done" but the texture is still missing (just downloaded the last version and playing through it, was really hoping not to run into anything like this due do you saying your finished and not wanting to work on anything Deus Ex related again, so didn't want to find any issues):
NV_MissingTex.jpg
Uninstall New Vision, delete any trace of it in your Deus Ex directory, and install it again. It looks like you're still using the beta textures.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I did, twice. Originally when I had the beta textures, I just replace the old textures in the textures folder with the beta ones. Then I downloaded the final installer, and installed it, which created the NewVision folders with the new textures and maps in there. So I opened the ini file and changed the texture path to New Vision/Textures see:

And then I uninstalled it when I got the blank texture and re installed, still the same. Here is the paths in the ini (I just replaced the old maps with the ones in the NV beta and the final instead of referencing to the New Vision folder):
[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=30
SavePath=..\Save
CachePath=..\Cache
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..New Vision\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\Music\*.umx
Suppress=DevLoad
Suppress=DevSave
Suppress=DevNetTraffic
Suppress=DevGarbage
Suppress=DevKill
Suppress=DevReplace
Suppress=DevSound
Suppress=DevCompile
Suppress=DevBind
Suppress=DevBsp
So, I don't know whats going on. I also deleted and replaced the beta textures I installed in the old textures folder (not the New Vision/Textures) with the final ones from the New Vision/Textures folder. Would it be caused by loading a saved game? That screenshot came from a playthrough I am doing with NV and HDTP, currently finished the last HK mission.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Could be, I guess, because the savegames actually save a copy of the map IIRC. So maybe saving it with a texture missing has saved it with no reference to what texture is meant to be there.

So, just carry on playing. If you get the problem later on, delete any New Vision folders from your Deus Ex directory, and delete the DeusEx.ini from Documents/DeusEx/System. Then reinstall New Vision, because that texture is definitely in the ModDB download.
SDX
Mole Person

Post by SDX »

Thank you.

Your work goes into a permanent set of tweaks for any Deus Ex 1 playthrough. I am also keeping a copy of it on my computer as must have/can't loose game files.

Last year I actually played through DX1 with "New Vision v1.000001 Hotfix0" before DeusEx3 release and it already looked great, but I guess now it is Complete even by your standards.

Thank you.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

RPS has done a post on New Vision:

Linkythingy
Remember Deus Ex’s long-awaited New Vision mod? Of course you do. We brought you word of its incomplete release last year, and obviously, you’ve calibrated your cyber-brain’s nanomachines to remember every last detail of every last revision of every last RPS post. I mean, what else would you use flawless memory superpowers for? At any rate, for those still running inferior flesh hardware, New Vision repaves the original Deus Ex with crisp modern textures. All of them. It’s a labor of love that’s been in the works for the past five years, but it’s finally completely and totally finished.

With this update, New Vision now brings its resolution revolution to 100 percent (or presumably somewhere very close) of Deus Ex’s textures. The previous version only managed 75 percent. Lead texture artist David Watts bid adieu to the behemoth of a mod project with a brief thank you post:

“I’d like to sincerely thank everyone in the community for their support over the years; without you, I wouldn’t have had the motivation to continue working on this project for 5 years of my life.”

“I hope you all enjoy the mod and I wish you all the best.”

Now, it’s important to note that New Vision only applies to environment textures. Characters, meanwhile, will remain their sludgy old selves, for better or worse. Apparently, Project HDTP‘s super totally close no for real this time you guys to being finished, but that’s been the case for years. We’ll see, though. It’d be quite a treat to gawk at Deus Ex for both its brains and its beauty, but I’m not getting my hopes up. For now, though, I’d say the completed New Vision mod warrants a reinstall (if, you know, you’ve ever made the mistake of uninstalling Deus Ex), so you should probably get on that.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

One thing I will say for those who aren't already aware of this: New Vision will be slower than crap with the default settings, specifically this one. Look in the [Engine.GameEngine] section for the "CacheSizeMegs" setting. This governs how much of the Deus Ex game data that can be kept in memory. The default is 4, which means it only allows 4MB of memory to be used to store/cache the textures and so on, and taking one look at the New Vision files will reveal that this setting is a bad idea. Depending on the amount of memory you have in your computer, it needs adjusted up drastically. Regular Deus Ex uses about 415MB memory by default (on my system). I think TNM uses closer to about 600-650MB. Any additional memory used is this cache setting value. I set mine to 192 and things are running much more smoothly, quickly, and so on. If you have lots of memory, you can even try 384 or 512.

One of the things I'm going to do with the new version of the loader I'm working on (along with "final" New Vision support) is expose this setting. But if you haven't already checked it, consider this a reminder to check it.

Fun fact: The Area 51 level in Deus Ex with the final New Vision and current beta HDTP loaded, fully pre-cached into memory, requires 1.5GB of memory for it to run.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Alright, I'll add it to the NV installer. In case NV will have to be recompiled in the future. :) Also, make the .exe Large Address Aware if you have a 64-bit OS and lots of RAM, might make a difference since then the game can access more than 2GB of RAM.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Thanks for the info ggrotz. I have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and 8GB DDR-3 and Intel Quad Core 3.6ghz, Nvidia Geforce FX 9800 1GB running 1600x900 but I did notice a slow down on the game once using NV and HDTP. One thing I did do, which made the game run faster is use CFF Explorer: http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php and used it to check the "App can handle >2gb address space" on the DeusEx.exe (I am using HDTP.exe which is just a renamed kenties launcher)

To do this, use this after installing CFF Explorer, just open the DeusEx.exe (or whichever your using) with the CFF explorer, click on "File Header" on the left tree menu and then click the "click here" on the right side table that appears, then check the "App can handle >2gb address space", and finally save it.
Allow more than 2GB
Allow more than 2GB
I Also set these settings on in (set all instances of CacheSizeMegs from (mine was set at 6) to CacheSizeMegs=16) and set "UsePrecache=True"

Then testing it, I noticed the *.exe starts quite faster and loads save games quite fast also, so it was quite an improvement over what it was when using both final NewVision textures and HDTP Beta.

That CFF Explorer is also useful for enabling more than 2GB of memory for other programs that can handle it but don't allow you to use more. I used it to set various Sony Vegas Movie Studio versions as you could only use 1GB memory and makes video editing with it much easier when allowing more memory.
Last edited by Morpheus on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Cool, thanks! This was actually the kind of stuff that I was looking for in this thread. Mainly, I've been testing different settings simply for these realizations that the resources are bigger and Deus Ex probably isn't handling it well. Things like a lag in pulling out a weapon or turning a direction to a more detailed area and so on. I posted this particular one here since it seems to be (by far) the most helpful one so far (TNM defaults to 64 on this setting, btw).

But I never thought about modifying the PE tags on the executable. I'll have to play with that some more.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Hm - can't say I've noticed a slowdown using New Vision. Only some occasional crashes with HDTP, but that's due to hitting the polycount rendering limit of Unreal Engine 1 I think.

Maybe I'll update the installer on ModDB at some point if that appears to be a problem.

The mod's also had quite a few articles (Kotaku, RPS and ShackNews - that I know of) which is cool. There's been a delayed surge of interest in the mod which is kinda odd, but positive all the same; not quite the ridiculous level it had a year ago but that was just before HR.
GregP
Mole Person

Post by GregP »

Just wanted to drop in and offer another thanks to the chorus here. DX1 is my second-favorite game of all time (right after System Shock 2) but somehow I've never found a pressing-enough reason to play through it a second time. But now that NV final has been released, I started a new game last night. :) Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you SO much for all your hard work dragging DX1 kicking and screaming into 2012. Really fantastic job.

FWIW, absolutely no slowdowns on my machine whatsoever running Eyefinity 5932x1080, steady 70-100 FPS.
i5-2500K @ 4.8 GHz / Asus P8P67 Pro / 8GB DDR3-1600 / 2x7970 3GB / Audigy X-Fi / Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
kynt
Thug

Post by kynt »

Fantastic work, Dave. I am extremely grateful for your hard work, as are many other people. As soon as HDTP is a little more stable and complete I will be installing both mods and doing a full playthrough. I haven't done a playthrough of Deus Ex for a year or so, and I like to do at least one playthrough a year.

Also, you made PC Gamer the other day: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/29/deus- ... ision-mod/ Very nice!

Also also, I somewhat understand your feelings towards the relevancy of doing this kind of work on old games. A part of me doesn't want to change Deus Ex in any way. The way it looks and feels gives me a major nostalgia overdose, and I like that. But, since I have been keeping tabs on both this mod and HDTP for years now, I feel like I need to install them and play the game with them. Like you said, to close that chapter of my life.

Again, great work! Kudos to you on sticking with it for so long and getting it done.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

kynt wrote: I haven't done a playthrough of Deus Ex for a year or so, and I like to do at least one playthrough a year.
The ritual.
kynt wrote: Also, you made PC Gamer the other day: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/29/deus- ... ision-mod/ Very nice!.
Congrats!
PC Gamer wrote: Deux Ex
That a typo, or a piss-take? If the former- why the hell is that typo so damn common? I know x is right under s qwerty, but can't it just be z for once? It is always fucking x! Maybe people get confused because Deus EX, but then you'd think people would type Deus X or something. :-k

Next time fuckers, just type Deus Z. Someone was asking for a Day-Z mod for Deus Ex just the other day too, so perhaps if one were to be made it would add further to the confusion and typos...
PC Gamer wrote: The ghost in the machine whispers “reinstall,”
Bravo =D> great stuff.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Cybernetic pig wrote:That a typo, or a piss-take? If the former- why the hell is that typo so damn common? I know x is right under s qwerty, but can't it just be z for once? It is always fucking x! Maybe people get confused because Deus EX, but then you'd think people would type Deus X or something. :-k
Probably a part of it is because Deux is French for two.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

So it is. Must mostly be frenchmen who make that mistake then.