Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
ggrotz
X-51

Re: HDTP beta

Post by ggrotz »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
ggrotz wrote: Edit: Just a minor nitpick: the uninstaller is named unins002 rather than Uninstall HDTP.
A nitpick of mine as well, but what I'm using doesn't support renaming the uninstaller. It seems to work well with 2027 though (I'm using the same thing they did), so it shouldn't hurt too much.

FWIW, looking for good cover art for the Deus Ex, ZODIAC, Redsun2020, and Nihilum OSTs, and then will get another HDTP installer build together.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Okay, here's a new build (build #3, you'll see that in the version).

Changes from the last one I posted:
1. The uninstaller should take out hdtp.ini and hdtpuser.ini now.
2. A version check is now present (checks for 1112f and 1112fm). This will happen in the same spot the Deus Ex existence check happens (after the directory selection). I looked at the DX 1112fm patch and can deploy the files very easily, but the question is whether license allows third-party distribution in another installer.
3. I did put the ENBSeries renderer in the package instead of Kenties DX9 renderer. The proper files now exist. If there's enough people out there that would rather have the ENBSeries renderer, I can always add it as an option.
4. detoured.dll was missing from the installer package. It is now present.
5. I set up an exclusive forced choice on the renderer, so that means it will only let you select one, but it will force you to enter one. It's good to have an up-to-date renderer anyway instead of the stock DX7 or OpenGL one, and if you already have them installed, it'll just overwrite the files. If there's an issue with this, please let me know and I can go back to the old method where all the renderers can be installed. (Edit: Already done for build #4, the option is to tell which one you want set in the INI)
6. Given #5, I can apply the same method that I apply in my loader and make it so you don't have to run Deus Ex once before to run the HDTP links (and yes I tested it, whether it works on a Steam copy is something I don't know, but it works on the retail copy). This is what I have done with this installer. Basically put, the method involves installing the video driver into DeusEx.ini, and #5 does that, so all it takes beyond that is a couple of more INI settings, one of which disables the CD check, the other indicating the first-time configuration has been done. I can always back apply this to DeusEx.ini if it would help in terms of support. (Edit: Last sentence done for build #4 as well. I found it too useful to not do. The installer asks if you want it though.)

Some random things about what the installer does for documentation purposes:
1. When it starts, it will check to see whether HDTP Release 1 is installed, and give you the opportunity to uninstall it by running the uninstaller. You can either do that or cancel, but it will clean up a lot of stuff if you do.
2. For the directory, it uses the same method as the TNM installer, reading the registry.
3. There are two checks after you enter a directory that are made on the Next button. First is the "Deus Ex existence test", which is "Does DeusEx.Exe exist in \System ? ". Second is the version check mentioned in #2.
4. On the additional tasks menu, a renderer the user selects is installed. This means both files and proper INI settings, including setting the renderer up in HDTP.INI. Also, you can get the OTP UI Fix, which is supposed to stop the scaling at higher resolutions. This is both files and the HDTP.INI entry. Any of these files the installer puts into place will NOT be removed by the uninstaller, and will be left alone.

http://www.moddb.com/downloads/hdtp-bet ... -installer

Hope there isn't any more problems, but if there are, let me know. Also, if there are any suggestions for more functionality, please let me know.
Last edited by ggrotz on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mrflibble13
Mole Person

Post by mrflibble13 »

After having some trouble installing HDTP beta, I finally got it to work, but all of the books are either solid grey or solid red without any textures. I'm also running Shifter 1.9 and New Vision alongside it. Any ideas on how to fix this?
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

mrflibble13 wrote:After having some trouble installing HDTP beta, I finally got it to work, but all of the books are either solid grey or solid red without any textures. I'm also running Shifter 1.9 and New Vision alongside it. Any ideas on how to fix this?
I see the same thing myself when I run Shifter 1.9 and the new HDTP. It disappears when I stop running Shifter, so I would say that's a bug he needs to address. After all, they are release candidates and not anything final.
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

Grabbing the new HDTP beta, so great to see it's alive!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Hey, is the installer good to go, can it become the official download? DDL?
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Hey, is the installer good to go, can it become the official download? DDL?
I can go ahead and upload Build #4 (basically "do you want to copy renderer settings to DeusEx.ini?"), but like I said if anyone hasn't run into any problems (like I say I have NO CLUE about the Steam version), I'm good until I get updated files. What I have works great for me.

Edit: Upload has been done. Changes are as indicated in the edits above.

DDL?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

(basically "do you want to copy renderer settings to DeusEx.ini?")
Is that a prompt or a checkbox? As a prompt that may confuse newbies.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Is that a prompt or a checkbox? As a prompt that may confuse newbies.
A prompt on a window ("Yes/No"). Like I said, it's just a test thing. I'm sure some of the language, strings, etc will have to be changed before it's "official". I can always try it as another checkbox on the menu before just to see how it would look/work, though I'd be concerned about that screen getting too cluttered.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

The Steam version is just like the regular version, except it's installed in the Steam\SteamApps\common folder. So instead of checking the registry var "SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\Deus Ex" for the install path you check SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam to see where Steam is installed and then append the rest of the path to get the base directory of the game. That's all that's needed, in all other respects the Steam version and the regular one is identical.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Does anyone know of the HDTP primary beta links (01, 02 03) were updated to include the hotfixes?

Also, has anyone actually bothered to test this installer besides those that already came forward? I am disappointed in the lack of Deus Ex love whilst other modding communities, some much older than DX's, continue going on strong.
ggrotz if it needs more testing let me know. An installer would benefit everybody new to HDTP, but most importantly me as my mod requires HDTP :)
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Also, has anyone actually bothered to test this installer besides those that already came forward?

ggrotz if it needs more testing let me know.
It's been working for me and should be fine. The proper question is if anyone else has downloaded it and installed it (and have they had any problems), since I don't see stats for the file on my dropbox (or I just don't look in the right place?). The only thing I can think of to do differently is to just push to DeusEx.ini by default like the New Vision installer does, but I'm thinking it's best to allow the choice for the end-user to do that, as the current version of the installer does.

Basically at this point, all I'm waiting for is some new files since it was confirmed there's no functional differences in a Steam install versus a CD install. As for your other question, the installer has the newest files I'm aware of, including all the patches. I don't know about the files in the first post and how up-to-date they are, but I'm pretty sure the ones I used for the installer are.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Just found a bug. For some reason, I don't think the energy shield aug should be a cloak of invincibility when it comes to getting hit with a plasma rifle...in the HDTP beta it is. Thought it was odd I wasn't taking any damage (especially playing against Supes on Omega as much as I have lately) so I did a test.

Aug on, found a guy with a regular plasma rifle, got hit 38 times. No health loss whatsoever.

Edit: By way of contrast, aug off, you die after 12 hits.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Another bug related to the plasma rifle. When you pick up one spawned in the level, the shooting sound works on it. Carry it into another map, and it goes silent.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Neither of those are HDTP-related (or if they are I have NO idea how they would be).

None of the aug code has changed, and while energy shield was always an amazing aug against plasma and...basically plasma, it shouldn't be 100%, though honestly outside of Omega where it's super useful, I've never used it enough to be certain.

As for weaponfire, again, it really shouldn't be any different from vanilla. I don't suppose you're running any other mods are you?

And if not, can you defnitely NOT replicate this in vanilla?