GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

FastGamerr
MJ12

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by FastGamerr »

I've never cared for challenges in video games. In Solitaire, I have to click merely 5 times and I've already lost the game. Oy.

Reminds me of those S.T.A.LK.E.R - Shadow of Chernobyl modders and how their mods have turned the game into something more akin to a misery simulator.

Or as they call it in Russia: life.

HA!

Sorry.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yeah well hardcore mode is there for those that do care. Easy mode is there for those that don't. Anything in between is there to represent those that have mixed degrees of fucks to give. GMDX caters to all.
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

FastGamerr wrote:I've never cared for challenges in video games.
Then why does your mod have boss fights in which the boss kills you almost instantaneously with two shots from an LMG on realistic difficulty with a very, very small reaction window after the boss conversation ends?
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

Cybernetic pig wrote: Claims of damage values being too high: like I said they're the same as realistic, which itself is less than vanilla.
Regarding this, I would check if there's a hidden variable being applied to raise damage on Hardcore. I remember you saying that Hardcore mode has a different CombatDifficulty value than Realistic, and that variable was used to raise damage of the Shot and Autoshot damage types in the base game. It may be that the multiplier is hardcoded and so even if you change it there's still something raising it that you aren't noticing.
CorinthMaxwell
NSF

Post by CorinthMaxwell »

Made in China wrote:There is separate ammo for "Plasma (Gamma Ionized) Clip" and "Plasma Clip" in the ammo tab. I'm guessing the "Plasma (Gamma Ionized) Clip" one is a leftover from the vanilla Deus Ex as I cannot use it, but I think that the GMDX one should have its name. There are 50 rounds of it, which is one clip. I have no idea where it came from.
Don't worry, he knows. ;)
The account/PIN combo of 576001/wyrdred0- doesn't work (found in the diary in the mid-path).
This was deliberate, actually. The mechanic's diary states that he would've heard the last number, if not for the sounds of the Paris Métro drowning out the telephone conversation between one of the officers & the officer's wife that he was eavesdropping on. <_<
Robin: "Holy flying snotburgers, Batman!"
Batman: o_0 O_0 o.0 O.0
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

SlySpy wrote:
FastGamerr wrote:I've never cared for challenges in video games.
Then why does your mod have boss fights in which the boss kills you almost instantaneously with two shots from an LMG on realistic difficulty with a very, very small reaction window after the boss conversation ends?
Unoptimized difficulty settings, and lack of more thorough editing of the original Clyzm weapon scripts. Also, in my mind I sort of overrode the thoughts of "paying more attention to boss fights by enabling ways in which you can skip them altogether: doing the Alistair Carlsburn sidequest so he'll kill MacFarlane in NYC AND being nice to agent Takara in Hong Kong so that she'll change her mind in D.C.".

In fact, at one point I was seriously considering teaming up with CyberP for GMDXN, where I would have redesigned the maps a bit better and we could have worked on making the gameplay much more exciting for every type of player (easy/medium/realistic difficulties, stealth/combat oriented, etc.).

But after toying around with the idea of returning to DX editing this year, well, I've decided against it (for a plethora of reasons).

In fact, I've been seriously considering taking up Unreal Engine 4. I've avoided modern game editing for about 15 years now mostly because I know I can't keep up with learning how to make new high-poly detailed models (so in order to make snazzy modern maps, I'd need to be a pro in 3D Studio Max et al). And by the time I could possibly learn how to do that (in fantasy-land), my skills would have already got outdated.

But now, you can buy most if not all of the assets you'd need to make a rather competent simple, nice-looking game. I could just buy the modular assets, rearrange them into something to my liking... use their available "gametype blueprints" for a basic FPS game... enable SHOOTING BEHIND COVER ... maybe add in some kind of inventory and rudimentary RPG-like features (lockpicks, hacking, whatnot) and so on... that way I could basically cobble together a mini-Mass Effect of sorts (with the cost of a few hundred dollars, of course).

Or maybe.... NEO-TODOA.

Who knows.

(On a funny note, DXN has areas like this in spirit, if anything!)

[/off-topic]
Last edited by FastGamerr on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

CorinthMaxwell wrote:
Made in China wrote:The account/PIN combo of 576001/wyrdred0- doesn't work (found in the diary in the mid-path).
This was deliberate, actually. The mechanic's diary states that he would've heard the last number, if not for the sounds of the Paris Métro drowning out the telephone conversation between one of the officers & the officer's wife that he was eavesdropping on. <_<
You're completely right about that. Went in an tried, the magic number is 8.
It's my bad, I didn't give it enough attention.
SkrillaX
NSF

Post by SkrillaX »

Does CyberP want my GMDX Decorations ?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

No.
SkrillaX
NSF

Post by SkrillaX »

Screw you GMDX wasn't such an authentic mod anyway. If it weren't for HDTP , New Vision , 2027 and other mods. This mod would've gotten a 0 .
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

SkrillaX wrote:Screw you GMDX wasn't such an authentic mod anyway. If it weren't for HDTP , New Vision , 2027 and other mods. This mod would've gotten a 0 .
How old are you? Seriously.

FastGamerr wrote:
Unoptimized difficulty settings, and lack of more thorough editing of the original Clyzm weapon scripts. Also, in my mind I sort of overrode the thoughts of "paying more attention to boss fights by enabling ways in which you can skip them altogether: doing the Alistair Carlsburn sidequest so he'll kill MacFarlane in NYC AND being nice to agent Takara in Hong Kong so that she'll change her mind in D.C.".

In fact, at one point I was seriously considering teaming up with CyberP for GMDXN, where I would have redesigned the maps a bit better and we could have worked on making the gameplay much more exciting for every type of player (easy/medium/realistic difficulties, stealth/combat oriented, etc.).

But after toying around with the idea of returning to DX editing this year, well, I've decided against it (for a plethora of reasons).
I see. It's still possible to utilize stealth in boss fights, but like I said, the reaction time is a bit ridiculous straight after a conversation, so it takes some trial and error to pull off if you're playing on realistic.

Felt I needed to know with the knowledge that you're not into that kind of difficulty. Not a point of contention necessarily, just keeping you honest.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DevAnj wrote: Regarding this, I would check if there's a hidden variable being applied to raise damage on Hardcore. I remember you saying that Hardcore mode has a different CombatDifficulty value than Realistic, and that variable was used to raise damage of the Shot and Autoshot damage types in the base game. It may be that the multiplier is hardcoded and so even if you change it there's still something raising it that you aren't noticing.
No, it's exactly the same as realistic values. Any player can check for themselves by looking at the DeusEx.log, which I made print the combatDifficulty value each time the player/level is initialized. The likely sole thing that can account for Made In China's perception/experience is the increase in Assault Gun damage from 3 (vanilla) to 4 since the last time he played the mod, which I changed as a result of numerous complaints that it is "too weak". Personally I thought its damage values were fine, but a bit noticeably weak when wielded by NPCs at range as fewer bullets hit you and it feels like getting hit by needles or something, while close up they can put you down in seconds as all shots often hit, usually in the torso.

I've set it back to 3.

And that's why I've always been reluctant to buff the assault gun damage. It's rather common that people have suggested taking it to 10+ damage (same as Nihilum's LMG, which is an insta-kill machine and highly frustrating). People don't realize it's a recipe for disaster, I knew even taking it to 4 was pushing it, but now it's tested, and it's confirmed: vanilla had it right.

Besides, GMDX offers damage weapon mods, which can buff the weapon when wielded by the player only, so if further people complain the default response will have to be "master your rifle skill and apply damage mods", which puts it up to a maximum of 7 damage (vanilla 6), which is not to be underestimated.

Anyway, back to the difficulty thing, GMDX makes things notably easier* in that regard:

Code: Select all

Vanilla      GMDX
Easy        1.0         0.5
Normal      2.0         1.0
Hard        3.0         2.0
Realistic   4.0         3.0
Hardcore    N/A         3.0
The number is a multiplier set when you choose a difficulty level that only applies to damageTypes 'shot' and 'AutoShot', and only for the player.

And then on top of that, easy now reduces all other damage types (explosion, poison etc) by 50%, and Normal by 25%. Everything else is standard; no reduction.
And of course there's tons of other tweaks, special cases and handicaps, and now stealth behavior also scales with difficulty level. It caters to every player type extensively providing they pick the difficulty level right for them.

*Damage values are lesser, but AI and obstacles are much more competent, and systems much more balanced, so realistic is notably more challenging than it was vanilla regardless. Easy on the other hand is probably notably easier than vanilla due to special handicaps, such as lenience with the accuracy system.
SkrillaX wrote:Screw you GMDX wasn't such an authentic mod anyway. If it weren't for HDTP , New Vision , 2027 and other mods. This mod would've gotten a 0 .
Right. The internet disagrees with you. It is consistently labelled the "definitive Deus Ex experience" by those that actually bother to play it and have any matter between their ears, and for damn good reasons.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

SlySpy wrote: I see. It's still possible to utilize stealth in boss fights, but like I said, the reaction time is a bit ridiculous straight after a conversation, so it takes some trial and error to pull off if you're playing on realistic. Felt I needed to know with the knowledge that you're not into that kind of difficulty. Not a point of contention necessarily, just keeping you honest.
Oh, how DXN could have benefited from a lot more beta testers back in the day.

But, fittingly enough, I got nothing.

(Well, nowhere near as many beta testers as I'd have hoped. But still!)

Alas, DXN is a dead mod that provides an interesting window to the timeframe it was completed in (2010-2013). Maybe NEO-TODOA will get thoroughly beta-tested. ;]
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

SkrillaX
NSF

Post by SkrillaX »

I'm still having this error despite those fixes
Attachments
gmdxdeco1.JPG