OpenGL Renderer

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I usually hang around on SorceryNet, however, I dont mind opening 3 chat windows ;)
RevengeVirus
Mole Person

Post by RevengeVirus »

What do I do if [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] isnt anywhere in my user.ini file? should I just add it or am I really screwed?
lysip
Mole Person

Post by lysip »

deusex.ini
VersaLife82
Mole Person

Post by VersaLife82 »

I just installed the OpenGL and I can tell a big difference in the lighting
PV
Thug

Post by PV »

I installed it, but my screen remains black once I start DX.
I know it worked the previous time I installed it (some time ago) , anyone knows what the cause might be?
Criftus
Mole Person

Post by Criftus »

Just letting everyone know that Chris Dohnal's OpenGL renderer has received another update, bringing it up to version 1.7. You can find the latest version on his homepage here.

From what I've heard this is an incredible alternative to the standard DirectX renderer, but for some reason no matter what I set the gamma/brightness settings to (in-game or via .ini), the game is still impossibly dark for me.

Maybe it's because of a settings conflict or a tweak that I've applied to my ATI card ... in any event, I hope that it works for you! =D
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Thanks for the update, wouldn't have seen that. Something about more than one layer of "detail textures", so that'll be nice.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Criftus wrote:Just letting everyone know that Chris Dohnal's OpenGL renderer has received another update, bringing it up to version 1.7. You can find the latest version on his homepage here.

From what I've heard this is an incredible alternative to the standard DirectX renderer, but for some reason no matter what I set the gamma/brightness settings to (in-game or via .ini), the game is still impossibly dark for me.

Maybe it's because of a settings conflict or a tweak that I've applied to my ATI card ... in any event, I hope that it works for you! =D

I've got an ATI card too: they're a bit odd, and seem to alternate between two lighting modes. One that's way too dark, and one that's slightly too bright. It's very, very annoying. Keep booting up DX until you get the bright version. :)
Criftus
Mole Person

Post by Criftus »

DDL wrote:I've got an ATI card too: they're a bit odd, and seem to alternate between two lighting modes. One that's way too dark, and one that's slightly too bright. It's very, very annoying. Keep booting up DX until you get the bright version. :)
Seriously? lol ... there has to be a more practical solution for this issue. =P
DaedalusIcarusHelios
Thug

Post by DaedalusIcarusHelios »

Criftus wrote:
DDL wrote:I've got an ATI card too: they're a bit odd, and seem to alternate between two lighting modes. One that's way too dark, and one that's slightly too bright. It's very, very annoying. Keep booting up DX until you get the bright version. :)
Here's what I do:

Start the game, and if it is too dark, go into the settings, adjust the gamma and it'll get much brighter, then I move it back to where it was and it looks like it should.

It's mildly annoying but it's better than playing roulette and restarting over and over until it finally looks right.
Criftus
Mole Person

Post by Criftus »

DaedalusIcarusHelios wrote:
Criftus wrote:
Here's what I do:

Start the game, and if it is too dark, go into the settings, adjust the gamma and it'll get much brighter, then I move it back to where it was and it looks like it should.

It's mildly annoying but it's better than playing roulette and restarting over and over until it finally looks right.
The gamma slider doesn't do anything for me, nor does manually editing the brightness setting found in deusex.ini ... thanks for the suggestion though. =)

I've tried doing the restart thing a few times as well. No luck.
DaedalusIcarusHelios
Thug

Post by DaedalusIcarusHelios »

Here's what I do:

The gamma slider doesn't do anything for me, nor does manually editing the brightness setting found in deusex.ini ... thanks for the suggestion though. =)

Have you tried a different video driver (I'm running Catalyst 5.6 currently)? Are you using Profiles in the Catalyst driver? If so, perhaps turn it off?

Does this happen when you use the DirectX renderer as well, or just the OpenGL renderer?

Good luck, I hope you get it working.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

All I can say is that I haven't had that problem with the nVidia cards I've had. I did buy a 9800 Pro, but the drivers kept killing fresh installs of Win2k. Deus Ex plays with the gamma to get a darker feeling and better looking graphics.

There's a program called Adobe Gamma that comes with Photoshop that could help.
Criftus
Mole Person

Post by Criftus »

DaedalusIcarusHelios wrote:

Have you tried a different video driver (I'm running Catalyst 5.6 currently)? Are you using Profiles in the Catalyst driver? If so, perhaps turn it off?

Does this happen when you use the DirectX renderer as well, or just the OpenGL renderer?

Good luck, I hope you get it working.
I'm using the latest Catalyst drivers at the moment (7.1 I think) with "ATI Tray Tools" (vastly superior to the CCC) ... regression is a good idea, but I think that it's just too much work for the benefits that OpenGL has to offer.

It's isolated to the OpenGL renderer. Direct3D works as it should.

I'm going to tinker around with it a little more, but I'm just about done. Thanks for the helpful suggestions! =)
justanotherfan wrote:There's a program called Adobe Gamma that comes with Photoshop that could help.
That's probably a good idea. I can't seem to find it though... maybe I chose not to include that application when I installed Photoshop... hmm.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I think that site also offers an updated DirectX renderer, since you've isolated the problem to the OpenGL one.