Chinese writing

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Should be bother being accurate?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 28
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Chinese writing

Post by DaveW »

I'm currently going through the HK_Signs package and I thought I'd better check out how they did the text. I sent a picture of the "No Firearms" sign to a Chinese friend of mine, and apparantly, it does actually mean what it's supposed to. Although I cropped the "No firearms" thing from the image:

[ DaveW ] says:
So is it just random letters?
D'Cruz says:
no
it does mean sumfin
but it seems like 1 of does idiom fings
where did u get it from
[ DaveW ] says:
It's from a game, it's a sign on a wall - possibly something about guns?
D'Cruz says:
yh
it has guns in it
nd den no sumfin as wel
[ DaveW ] says:
So, something like "No guns" ?
D'Cruz says:
probably

I'm just wondering if people actually care if we're accurate with this. So far I've just been searching for words that I think are like the sign and then copying certain symbols and scrambling them up, but it might be worth getting someone Chinese (with a chinese keyboard, that is) to do it. Does anyone have any ideas where we might be able to find someone to do this? :?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well I think it'd be fantastic if you could retain the original authenticity!

But otherwise I guess we'll live.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

I voted "yes" but if you'd have asked "Should we bother with being accurate even though it might cost us weeks?" my answer would be "definitely not"... ;)
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Re: Chinese writing

Post by Master_Kale »

SnipaMasta wrote:So far I've just been searching for words that I think are like the sign and then copying certain symbols and scrambling them up, but it might be worth getting someone Chinese (with a chinese keyboard, that is) to do it.
You could do this: install the Chinese language pack that comes on an XP CD, get an image of a Chinese keyboard, switch over to the language, and type out the characters you need based on the Chinese keyboard layout. It'd take a bit of effort, but how can you create without suffering just a bit? ;)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Or you could just use an English to Chinese translator like the one of Altavista. (only problem is it screws some words up.. I used it on Kale once.. he was like "WTF! since when do you speek japanese :D")

沒有火器 = No Firearms in Traditonal Chinese == translates to Without The FireArm

没有火器 = No Firearms in Simplified Chinese == translates to Without The FireArm.

is that right? i used http://babelfish.altavista.com/
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Well, I think it's great that you checked with someone that reads some Chinese. Perhaps you could post the images here, so that if someone has a friend that reads Chinese very well, that they can get more confirmation (your friend seemed uncertain).

Any more than that is probably unnecessary. With a chinese font pack, you can recreate the symbols perhaps in photoshop easily as text instead of a drawing.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Found that on google. And btw Chinese Keyboards don't translate it for you. So I don't think its as simple as typing in "No Firearms".
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I've always wondered how that works. I mean don't they have one symbol for each cyllable, which makes something like 6000 symbols?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Yeah something like that. Hence why Chinese is probably the hardest language you could ever try to learn.

There has to be a bloody easier way to do this! :P
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Jonas wrote:I've always wondered how that works. I mean don't they have one symbol for each cyllable, which makes something like 6000 symbols?
Foreign keyboards work phonetically. When I type in Japanese, I just type in "Romaji" (the Roman alphabet for you non-Japanese ;)) what I want to say and Windows replaces the sounds with the correct Hiragana and Katakana characters; Windows then goes one step further and replaces the Hiragana and Katakana with the correct Kanji (where applicable).

I can imagine it being somewhat similar for Chinese, especially since they have no alphabet :(
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That... seems pretty clever!

I'm impressed.

Must've taken fuckin' ages to set up. But I guess MS was a bit keen to grab the market :P
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Yeah something like that. Hence why Chinese is probably the hardest language you could ever try to learn.
Plus it's not simple characters, either, it's quite complicated.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

This Pidgin article shows how it is being typed by Koreans, it combines multiple keystrokes as one character:
http://www.pidgin.im/~seanegan/cgi-bin/ ... ethod.html
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

SnipaMasta wrote:Image
I'm good at translations. You can tell by the shape of the characters; it tells a story. I'll do a character-by-character translation:

This is chapter three. There is a giant lizard with antlers, or a well-endowed moose. There is a house tilted with a flag on the roof. The lizard kicks the house. The lizard then punches the house. His fist goes through the house as it collapses. Then all is dark.

Hope that helps.