Deus Ex : New Vi...I mean Order

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Deus Ex : New Vi...I mean Order

Post by DaveW »

A friend of mine just brought this to my attention;
Deus Ex : New Order
Deus Ex : New Order is a complete graphical overhaul of the original game adding professional grade realistic elements to enhance the player's overall experience.

Though there are a few simular projects currently being developed, i'm hoping to add an overall photorealistic perspective to which I always wanted to see Deus Ex have. Currently there is quite alot of work to be done, but hopefully it will be completed by fall.
Y'know, I'm all for projects like this (as you can probably tell, since I've been involved in both HDTP (kind of) and NV) but surely collaboration is better than competition?
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

I don't like the screenshots they (?) posted there and, imo, NV looks far better.
Vavrek
UNATCO

Post by Vavrek »

So... photorealistic means "Covered in water stains that are very precisely patterned"?
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

None of those textures except the unacto sign looked higher def than normal Deus Ex. "New Order" isn't anywhere close to New Vision in quality.
Andrievskaya Veronika
UNATCO

Post by Andrievskaya Veronika »

I don't see anything interesting there! Really.

edit:

Here is my opinion about the screenshots:
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

hopefully it will be completed by fall.
We'll see :)
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well it's nice and all, but to be quite frank those textures are in dire need of more contrast! It all looks a bit flat and dull :?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

The origin of this mod is quite mysterious. Seems like this site, silentasylum.com, was made with a generic layout which is in use for a bunch of other ones. They have all been set up by a design and housebuilding company called qdevelopments.com, which is owned by two guys from the UK (London). Sites like silentasylum.com, texturemonk.com, imperial-printing.com, modelmonk.com to name just a few. Is this a commercial project or is it a private project of pros? The screenshots say no... so what is it then? *X-Files-theme fades in*
Smike
Platypus

Post by Smike »

PAY CHRIS CARTER RIGHT NOW YOU RIGHTS VIOLATOR!!! :evil:

(THAT'S RIGHT, THE STRIKE'S ON BITCHES!!!)

((There should be a "Fight da Powa!" emoticon - you know, like a raised fist or something. Somebody get their ass on that.))
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Well it seems he needs the money since he hasn't done anything since the X-files. I'd be careful Fox, you might get sued soon... Then again the X-files was very popular so perhaps he doesn't need anymore money.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

It's alright, I am fox.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Those screenshots do look like crap. It's probably the gamma problem, which is really apparent in the docks screenshot. Who knows what the mod's visual quality is because of that.

I'm all for new projects, but they either have to be exceptionally communicative to avoid redoing things unnecessarily and still be compatible, or be doing something completely different. NV is doing world textures that HDTP wouldn't touch, which is a great separation, while the mods are communicative to the point where the forums are on the same website. Still, the time to create these projects was when DX was released, not when HDTP/NV/DXR are about to release. Maybe the time will come again once they are released; now's not the best time. Someone who has a moddb account post to notify the mod of HDTP/NV in case they don't know.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

This mod failed the second it started IMO. New Vision is being worked on by some of the best texture artists in this community so I have no idea why on Earth he would want to even bother trying to do what is basically already being done.

I need a really big Emoticon with WTF! :D
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

justanotherfan wrote:I'm all for new projects, but they either have to be exceptionally communicative to avoid redoing things unnecessarily and still be compatible, or be doing something completely different. NV is doing world textures that HDTP wouldn't touch, which is a great separation, while the mods are communicative to the point where the forums are on the same website. Still, the time to create these projects was when DX was released, not when HDTP/NV/DXR are about to release. Maybe the time will come again once they are released; now's not the best time. Someone who has a moddb account post to notify the mod of HDTP/NV in case they don't know.
NV's about to release? Don't be silly. :)
Also in the profile he makes note of "other similar projects", so it's safe to say he knows about NV and HDTP.

I agree communication is important though. Mostly between HDTP/NV and DX:R, to make sure they work. I'm in contact with the guy working on DX: Revision too - just to make sure that NV will benefit his mod as well. The problem here is that it's not in communication with the modding community and is basically going over stuff that's already being done, which seems kind of useless. And it seems to only be replacing the textures with different, but still low resolution textures which seems pointless...
Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:This mod failed the second it started IMO. New Vision is being worked on by some of the best texture artists in this community so I have no idea why on Earth he would want to even bother trying to do what is basically already being done.

I need a really big Emoticon with WTF! :D
*artist , Mr "my computer's broken!".
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

"Was being worked on by artists, till he ran out of HDD and got a job :P now Snipa is having to pull all the weight himself.. Sucks.. :(" Can't help that this happened but I've already established what I intend to do about it. And last time I checked the HDTP didn't have a lot of good to say about you're absence from texturing :D. Don't worry though, I'm not like you :D. lol

But the fact is this guy is going Solo, he clearly has little experience with high resolution texturing so collaborating looks almost impossible. Sorry to say it but its true, and unless anyone here is prepared to teach him I doubt this New Order project will work.

[edit] Quick update, he has a site up. Which basically says.
Deus Ex : New Order is a graphical overhaul of the original game adding professional grade realistic elements to enhance the player's overall experience.

Features will include-

New Textures
New Models
New Characters
No way in hell is he doing all that on his own. New characters? huh? New Models are not necessary when HDTP is already nearing completion. I can honestly say he is dreaming. HDTP took nearly 4 years and that was with an entire team 8+ people working on it. He's stated he intends to release during Fall (doesn't state what year btw :D).

Well I guess someone doesn't like our work and thinks he can do better I guess :D