Bugs

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Bugs

Post by Jonas »

The game won't even be out for another 4½ hours, and we're already getting a few bug reports. Here are a couple of tips to avoid the bugs we know of until we put out the first patch. If you encounter any of these, we are very sorry, and we'll try to get them fixed as soon as possible.

Sol's Bar closed for no damn reason
It seems there's a bug in the kill counting code in Sol's Bar so the bar is closed prematurely even if you don't kill anybody in there. The easiest way to circumvent this is to use the "opensesame" cheat on the door to open it again if it's closed unfairly. Note that if you do kill somebody in there and the bar is closed, that's what's supposed to happen.

We have tracked down this bug and it will be fixed shortly.

PDX HQ crash upon entry
Before you enter the PDX HQ for the first time, you'll want to save your game. Certain people are reporting that the game crashes the first time they try to enter. This may happen a couple of times, but if you keep trying, you will be able to get in - usually after 2-3 attempts. Once the level has loaded successfully the first time, you should be able to enter it without incident for the rest of the game, even if you load a previous savegame and try again.

We're working to track down and address this bug. It seems to be a bug in the native code since it cuts the log short and gives you no useful error message. The fact that it seems independent of savegames would also appear to corroborate this. We're very sorry that this bug made it into the game, it wasn't discovered until very recently.

Goat leader's death is not acknowledged
Several players have reported that they can't find the leader of the Goat cult. In fact the problem is that the game doesn't acknowledge when they kill the leader: Athena is the leader of the Goat cult. With the help of one of you, the cause of this bug has been tracked down to a late fix for another bug, and this bug has now also been fixed and will be remedied in patch 1.0.1. In the mean time, you may apply this (spoilery) fix to make the game acknowledge your killing the leader of the Goat cult:

When you've killed Athena for good (meaning she no longer respawns), type "legend" and click on "Edit Flags" in the menu that pops up. Find the flag called "Athena_Fight_Dead" and edit it so it's simply called "Athena_Dead" (no quotes). Leave the Legend menu, and the game should now update your goals and hand out skillpoints accordingly.

If you find any other bugs, please post them here and we will investigate them. Again, we are really really sorry, we worked very hard to ensure that the game would be bug-free, so nobody is more bothered by these bugs than we are. We promise to patch the mod as soon as we can.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
nathan85
Mole Person

Re: Bugs

Post by nathan85 »

Hey I may have one - when you use the laptop to get the free subway pass and play the recorded message - I don't hear anything, and there's no confirmation of goal complete or anything like that. It just says laptop recording. Is that what's meant to happen or am I meant to hear something?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hmm you're meant to get a conversation. Try loading a previous savegame and try it again, let me know if you can replicate it.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
european
Mole Person

Post by european »

I have the "Crashing when entering" problem too. I also had the same problems going into the house where the kidnapped unconscious Llama worshipper was held, even though the door there was open and there was no loading. In addition, now the door in the PDX HQ which leads from the entrance part, to where the elevators are is stuck HALF open, which means I cant get through. And since I have already freed the dragon, this faction is the only option for me:(
I tried reentering the HQ a couple of times, but the door's still half open. I guess I'll have to cheat my way through.
Btw, none of the usernames and passwords that I've gotten so far has worked on any computer. Not even in the Training mission. (ATM's work fine though)
nathan85
Mole Person

Post by nathan85 »

ok yeh I loaded an earlier save game and it worked. weird. cheers man.
Ishindri
NSF

Post by Ishindri »

I too have the problem where the door to EvilInvasion's office in PDX headquarters is stuck half open. You can take a longer route to the second floor by going through Jonas' office, to the left of the reception desk.
All is well. We are not like the others.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

european wrote:I have the "Crashing when entering" problem too. I also had the same problems going into the house where the kidnapped unconscious Llama worshipper was held, even though the door there was open and there was no loading.
Well then it's not the same problem.
In addition, now the door in the PDX HQ which leads from the entrance part, to where the elevators are is stuck HALF open, which means I cant get through. And since I have already freed the dragon, this faction is the only option for me :(
I tried reentering the HQ a couple of times, but the door's still half open. I guess I'll have to cheat my way through.
Hm that's interesting, did you stand in its way when it was closing? It may be an easy fix if so.

Also you could have just used the staircase instead :P
Btw, none of the usernames and passwords that I've gotten so far has worked on any computer. Not even in the Training mission. (ATM's work fine though)
Uh... that's a pretty major thing and nobody else has reported that, so either you're doing something wrong, or it's time to try reinstalling the whole thing and starting over to see if that solves it.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trafalgar
NSF

Post by Trafalgar »

When I visited the hotel guard office, whenever I died, the game crashed instead of letting me reload from a saved game. I don't know if it crashes any time I die, or if it's specific to that area yet, since that's the only place I've died so far.

This is on a fresh install of DX - installed, patched with deusexmppatch1112fm.exe, then installed TNM, no other mods installed currently (I had uninstalled everything including Deus Ex and made sure the Deus Ex folder was empty prior to reinstalling Deus Ex, the patch, and TNM).

I should probably get more specific detail on the crash...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That might be helpful.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
european
Mole Person

Post by european »

Jonas wrote:
european wrote:I have the "Crashing when entering" problem too. I also had the same problems going into the house where the kidnapped unconscious Llama worshipper was held, even though the door there was open and there was no loading.
Well then it's not the same problem.
I know. Same result though. Crashing. But I'm past it now, so it's not a gamestopper.
In addition, now the door in the PDX HQ which leads from the entrance part, to where the elevators are is stuck HALF open, which means I cant get through. And since I have already freed the dragon, this faction is the only option for me :(
Hm that's interesting, did you stand in its way when it was closing? It may be an easy fix if so.

Also you could have just used the staircase instead :P
I have no idea if I was standing in the door last time I was there. (I would say the chances are very low, as there would be no point)
I use the stairs now or ghost, depending from what side I enter.
Uh... that's a pretty major thing and nobody else has reported that, so either you're doing something wrong, or it's time to try reinstalling the whole thing and starting over to see if that solves it.
Well. I'll let it slide for a while, and see how it goes.
european
Mole Person

Post by european »

I forgot to mention that when I started the game and used my "Fists" key, both hands were showing on the left border of the screen. After that I could not take anything in my hands, I could still hit things with my fists, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not "use" anything else. I had to restart the game. I never tried using the fists after that, and it's been fine.
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

european wrote:Btw, none of the usernames and passwords that I've gotten so far has worked on any computer. Not even in the Training mission. (ATM's work fine though)
I'm having the same problem, even though I've got all the right info for passwords and usernames it doesn't let me use them. It's only happened in WorldCorp HQ so far and after a quit/restart it fixed it. A little bug but sometimes a little annoying.
Trafalgar
NSF

Post by Trafalgar »

I went and got myself killed by some goat worshipers without crashing - having done that, I then knocked them all out with my hands without taking any damage. I bet it's the hotel. but I haven't spent a lot of time playing, so it may be a while before I get back to start a new game and see if that crashes when the guards in the hotel's guard room kill me.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

I've found some very minor stuff, which I though I may as well post:
- when you alt-tab ingame, and then return to it, the colours are all messed up, and the screen goes mental
- I'm not sure if this is intentional at all, but in the training mission you start with a map of Downtown and an ATM login. I'm assuming the ATM login is Trestkon's but in that case why doesn't it work on the ATMs in the training mission?
- in the training mission you're meant to knock out the guard with a baton. I killed him by jumping on him, whereupon Phasmatis proceeds to tell me 'nice swing!' (that's probably not a spoiler, but just in case...)
- in the room after this, the word 'pacifist' is spelt 'pascifist' on the datalink thing
- the text on the side of chemical bottles is mirrored
- when you turn on/off Phasmatis' TV in his apartment, his futz speech sometimes messes up, and there's a lot of lag
- also in his apartment I printed off an email and frobbed it, and got a general protection fault. When I reloaded it worked fine.
- sometimes when you repeatedly reload you get 'TNM.exe has stopped working'.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

AgentSmithereens wrote:I've found some very minor stuff, which I though I may as well post:
when you alt-tab ingame, and then return to it, the colours are all messed up, and the screen goes mental
Other people have mentioned this - it's the OGL renderer. Try downloading the DX9 renderer from Chris Dohnal's site, that may work better for yo.
I'm not sure if this is intentional at all, but in the training mission you start with a map of Downtown and an ATM login. I'm assuming the ATM login is Trestkon's but in that case why doesn't it work on the ATMs in the training mission?
It's Trestkon's ATM login indeed, but the ATMs in the training only accept the test account Phasmatis gives you. Several people have found this confusing, so we'll look into removing the ATM account from the training.
in the training mission you're meant to knock out the guard with a baton. I killed him by jumping on him, whereupon Phasmatis proceeds to tell me 'nice swing!' (that's probably not a spoiler, but just in case...)
Eh yeah that's a bit funky, but I think I can live with that. Hope that's not too big a disappointment :)
in the room after this, the word 'pacifist' is spelt 'pascifist' on the datalink thing
Oh thanks, I do hate typos. Will be fixed in 1.0.1.
the text on the side of chemical bottles is mirrored
I'm gonna look into fixing that. Should be straight-forward enough, but no promises.
when you turn on/off Phasmatis' TV in his apartment, his futz speech sometimes messes up, and there's a lot of lag
Yeah the lag is on purpose, we've implemented a delay in turning the TV on or off because - believe it or not - toggling it too fast used to crash the game. No idea why, but I think it was a sound thing.
also in his apartment I printed off an email and frobbed it, and got a general protection fault. When I reloaded it worked fine.
That scares me, but I'm going to ignore it for now. If anybody else reports it, I'll start worrying about it.
sometimes when you repeatedly reload you get 'TNM.exe has stopped working'.
Others have reported this, we'll try to figure out what's going on.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine