Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

I wonder why the game would include a choice of running in 1280x1024 if the game won't support that resolution. I know that UT can be run in 1280x1024, so that might be a setting built into the engine that the DX developers just defaulted to 640x480.

And Jonas, what's wrong with the game graphically? Why does it look so bad on your rig?
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

Master_Kale wrote:I wonder why the game would include a choice of running in 1280x1024 if the game won't support that resolution. I know that UT can be run in 1280x1024, so that might be a setting built into the engine that the DX developers just defaulted to 640x480.

And Jonas, what's wrong with the game graphically? Why does it look so bad on your rig?
It doesn't include 1280x1024, but I wish it did because that is my native resolution. So noone knows quite why the resolution options are lower then other Unreal games?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Master_Kale wrote:And Jonas, what's wrong with the game graphically? Why does it look so bad on your rig?
I think it's something to do with my TFT monitor, it looked pretty decent when I ran it on my 19" CRT monitor, but since I switched to TFT, the shadows look strange, parts of the geometry is flickering at long distances (although I really don't see how that could have anything to do with my monitor technology), and the pixels are generally just too big because the maximum resolution I can use is 1024x768, while the native resolution of the monitor is 1280x1024.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Preston

Post by Preston »

You can increase the resolution, but the HUD starts to double in size at a certain point (1280x960).. You have to modify one of the INI files. I used to run it at 1600x1200, but the HUD doubles, so the HUD is essentially the same size it is at 800x600, but the in-game graphics are hi-res. I think the maximum it'll go without doubling the HUD (if that matters to you) is 1152 or something by something else.
Preston

Post by Preston »

That resolution I was talking about is 1152x864 (where the HUD is at its smallest - it doesn't double in size).
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

So by just changing the resolution in the .ini file you can set it to 1600x1200?
Do you have to change any other settings?
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Is there any way we could do this for the user on installation of our mod?
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

If you're referring to changing the default resolution, then yes, the new .ini file we'll include in the install can be modified to default to the larger resolution.
Preston

Post by Preston »

Just for clarification, you need to modify the deusex.ini file, and go to the following section and change the variables as shown below

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
FullscreenViewportX=1600
FullscreenViewportY=1200

The WindowedViewportX and Y are only if you view it in windowed mode. The only time I use that is to see something on my desktop real quick, so you don't want that maximum resolution.

I'd recommend making a copy of the deusex.ini file before making changes, just to be safe. Just make the changes and save, and that's it.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I went through a bit of hell to get this working, so I'm going to talk about it. Google already picked up one of my posts here, if it had more info in it I would have saved time. For a nVidia videocard, these settings probably help when enabled (tell me if they're bad), and they aren't causing problems here, these are settings for higher quality and lower performance-
usetrilinear=true, maxansiotropy=16, cachestaticmaps=true, texdx1todx3=true, senenodehack=true, framelimit=60, autogeneratemipmaps=true, useaa=true,aahint=2, doprecache=true. You can force FSAA 8x in the nvidia drivers

By enabling "useprecache", you can turn all transparency to a solid purple pink color, don't do that.

If you have a non-soundblaster soundcard that has QSound available, I found it causes horrible stuttering....this is a bug in the unreal engine, you could increase the audio latency and decrease the effect channels, I just turn off positional Q Sound in my audio drivers. It appears that Deus Ex is incompatible with the Athlon 64's Cool 'n Quiet, it causes an intermittent drop in framerate to 30fps with a burst in the speed of the game, and causing characters to be interrupted when talking ("... he was so willing it was alm" "This plague, it's intensif"), probably a timing bug. Sorry to be offtopic there, but if I have the problem again and forget, I want the answer online.

I don't suppose there's a new audio plugin anywhere, a GalaxyAudioSubsystem update? I saw an AC3 driver in Alice and that's made me want it everywhere.
Iki
Thug

Post by Iki »

Jonas wrote:Well, if anti-aliasing is the only difference, no wonder I didn't notice, I already had my video driver set to force anti-aliasing on all available programs. What I REALLY wanted was Truform support. I have yet to actually USE my GPU's Truform feature on any game :
(
At least one version of the OpenGL renderer had Truform working; problem is, it can't specify which models/model areas to use it on, so it'll use it on everything. Put simply, rounded crates look rather daft. :P At best, you can specify how many vertices a model must have to use it, but that doesn't sort it completely. There's also several other features; better brightness adjustment, anisotropy and proper trillinear support, various fixes for older cards... oh, and it's not broken. :P

Whilst I think it would be a good idea to include the package (with author's permission, perhaps? ;)) I don't think forcing it on is a good idea. We can't guarantee that everyone will have a fully compliant video card. (I mean let's face it; us old folks are the ones playing it, and we're the ones who still have some of the old systems) Make it known, I say, but not enforce it. Although I gather that a custom .ini file or two might be used anyway.

EDIT: Just found out that Ati pulled Truform support from their drivers a while back. Fiddlesticks. :D
We will cook you to appease our sexy god!
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

I think I figured out why there might be a performance increase for some people. It could very well be my OpenGL settings, but from what I can tell, there are no reflections of any kind. I first noticed this when I entered UNATCO HQ for the first time and the floor was solid, I didn't see myself or the surroundings reflected. Just to make sure I checked the mirror above the water fountain further inside and it was pitch black. The reflections show up normally under DX rendering.
SupahAng
Mole Person

Post by SupahAng »

Fulgrymm wrote:I think I figured out why there might be a performance increase for some people. It could very well be my OpenGL settings, but from what I can tell, there are no reflections of any kind. I first noticed this when I entered UNATCO HQ for the first time and the floor was solid, I didn't see myself or the surroundings reflected. Just to make sure I checked the mirror above the water fountain further inside and it was pitch black. The reflections show up normally under DX rendering.
I had the same problem, but fixed it by add and change in the "deusex.ini"

Try replace the "[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]" with following text:
[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
TruFormMinVertices=0
TruFormTessellation=3
UseTruForm=False
ZRangeHack=False
AAFilterHint=0
NumAASamples=0
UseAA=False
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
MaskedTextureHack=False
SceneNodeHack=False
FrameRateLimit=0
SwapInterval=-1
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=False
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=False
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailMax=0
RefreshRate=0
MaxTMUnits=0
You should make a copy of your deusex.ini before the replacment, just if it would't work for you.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Preston wrote:You can increase the resolution, but the HUD starts to double in size at a certain point (1280x960).
Anyone found a way around this?

When playing with quality settings, the "t" button and "stat fps", you want FPS to be > 30. I found that Deus Ex can still tax modern hardware with extremely high resolution and maximum FSAA. Deus Ex can be run in "widescreen" mode by altering the resolution in the deusex.ini file as above, and changing the two "FOV" settings in the user.ini (default 75, I found 95 and 100 to be fine here).

Anyone ever play through on a trackpad? man....