Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
DarkQuark
Mole Person

Buggy Deus Ex; everything is 2x fast!

Post by DarkQuark »

I just DL'd your excellent-looking mod but there are a few bugs. First, sometimes I am unable to skip the ads at the beginning as I start DX and I cannot actually start it. When I am able to start it after restarting, everything is twice as fast. JC moves like the Flash and NPCs stop talking (also twice as fast) in the middle of sentences. How can I fix this?

Update: Now everything is half as fast! What kind of bug is this?
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

I am not sure in this case but when the game runs faster than it's supposed to, this could be because of incompatibilities with multi-core processors or to be more precise with the associated features called Cool'n'Quiet (ATI) or Speedstep (Intel) which are used for energy management. Try deactivating them in your BIOS-settings before you play the game.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It's pretty safe to say your problems are caused by a multicore processor like fox said. If his suggestion of disabling Cool'n'Quiet or Speedstep doesn't work (or just doesn't solve everything) what you need is to get a hold of Microsoft's Application Compatibility Toolkit and use it to create a custom .dll file that you will save in your \DeusEx\System folder. This will most likely solve your problems :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
NVShacker
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by NVShacker »

Yeah I had issues until I used imagecfg to permanently set my dx processor affinity (I dislike the idea of changing bios settings for a game)
NVShacker
Are you still there?
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Just set the compatibility to win98 in the shortcut, there job done.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That may not work though - it certainly didn't for me (or I wouldn't have gone through the trouble to download that compatibility toolkit).
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jonas wrote:It's pretty safe to say your problems are caused by a multicore processor like fox said. If his suggestion of disabling Cool'n'Quiet or Speedstep doesn't work (or just doesn't solve everything) what you need is to get a hold of Microsoft's Application Compatibility Toolkit and use it to create a custom .dll file that you will save in your \DeusEx\System folder. This will most likely solve your problems :)
That's a new solution I haven't heard before. :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I got tired of alt-tabbing out of TNM to change the CPU affinity for the TNM.exe process every time I had to test it on my laptop, so that's why I looked around for a better solution, and the MS compatibility toolkit came up. It was maybe a little more involved to use than I'd have liked but all in all it took me about half an hour to fix, and it's run smoothly ever since. I could upload the .dll if you like, but I'm not sure it would work all by itself because I don't really know how the program works. It probably does something else apart from just generating that .dll file.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I don't have any problem with Deus Ex; single core processor for me. I wonder how DX would run if I stuck it on my little sister's Vista, AMD 64x2 PC. :P
Is that all the MS Compatibility Toolkit does? Set program affinity? I'm pondering now if I can do something with it for System Shock. ;) You know how people have trouble running that. I feel so ALONE being able to play SS1.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

Jetsetlemming wrote:I feel so ALONE being able to play SS1.
SS1 runs perfectly well under DOSBox. So no, you don't get to feel alone.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

Of course he does, he can run it without an emulator.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

SS1 didn't run well at all under DOSBox, especially if I attempted to run it in 640x480 mode. I run it maxed out fullscreen using VDMS and it runs and plays perfectly. ;)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I get the same problem with UT1 and Unreal1. It has something to do with the engine not supporting Dual and Quad Core CPUs.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:I get the same problem with UT1 and Unreal1. It has something to do with the engine not supporting Dual and Quad Core CPUs.
Well gee, I wonder if DX, UT1, and Unreal1 use the same engine... :roll:

Another way of fixing this problem is to find and download TaskAssign (I'll have to find a link later, I'm pressed for time). It's a fairly straight-forward program.You add a particular EXE to the program's list, set an affinity to that list, and leave it running while you run the game's EXE; TA will then automatically set the game's affinity! I've been using that for a while now, and it works really well without a lot of setup.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

why do you think I said "the engine".. you stupid american asshole :P :D